Author Topic: favorite drummers  (Read 3075 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: favorite drummers
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2008, 03:14:00 PM »

You know I  was gonna mention Tony Thompson, his recorded sound on The Powerstation album is really good, his playing is crsp and tight, tho I guess John Taylor struggled a bit since he wasm't with the familiar confines of DuranDuran............I did not know he had passed away.......Sad.     
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

MikeyB5

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2008, 03:26:21 PM »
I think he passed away shorly after Bernard Edwards who I think had diabetes  and Tony had cancer I think but am not sure.

MikeyB5

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2008, 03:30:02 PM »
You know I  was gonna mention Tony Thompson, his recorded sound on The Powerstation album is really good, his playing is crsp and tight, tho I guess John Taylor struggled a bit since he wasm't with the familiar confines of DuranDuran............I did not know he had passed away.......Sad.     

I recall seeing a show on the recording of Power Station and Bernard was giving John Taylor some pointers.

PWV

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2008, 03:34:41 PM »
Sly Dunbar - of course that's because I associate him so closely with Robbie Shakespeare and I've always loved their synergy.

Tony Williams - just atomic.  But he also was as much of a conductor from the drum throne as he was a drummer and a true artist.

Elvin Jones - same as Williams' role, but his work with the Coltrane Quartet will prove to be immortal imo.

Joe English, Circa "Venus and Mars/Wings At The Speed of Sound" - I can't explain this one, he just seems to complement Macca and all the songs from that era.  

Here's one - Jerry Mercer from April Wine.   In this 2003 clip, he's a mere 69 years young:

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2008, 06:50:00 AM »
"Animal" from the Muppets!
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES