Author Topic: Which EB for me?  (Read 20632 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Which EB for me?
« Reply #90 on: April 30, 2008, 07:20:18 AM »
I find this thread refreshingly eclectic yet within the bounds of decorum as no one has mentioned WW II or anal sex yet. Needless to say Strapse is the German word for a certain type of lingerie ...

Oh, I forgot how Guilty Swallow despises black hardware:

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2008, 07:22:04 AM »
Hmm.. I'm thinking about ordering the white set for the Fraulein, but I have to know if it's available in chrome!

WWII you said? What about it? ;)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2008, 07:26:28 AM »
WWII you said? What about it? ;)

Nothing. An unimportant reallocation of bicycles due to wartime constraints. Now go celebrate with Beatrix.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #93 on: April 30, 2008, 07:29:35 AM »
Yep, that Flock.  Tom Webb was later known as T.S. Henry Webb aka The Barking Spider.  He was a real trip.  I've jammed with him in the past.  The song I remember by them was "Clown" (I think).  By the time I crossed paths with him (I did a full gig with him sitting in), he was a gravelly voiced harp player that had seen better days.

Fred Glickstein also went on to try the idea of a Jazz Wedding Orchestra in the late '80s.  His claim to fame was the marketing of the home clone kit.  "Be beside yourself with joy"  "Be the first to be the second on your block"

The guys I knew were actually in a band called Strategic Air Command that had a few remnants out of The Flock, but none of the original members.  Archie was the bassist, as I recall, but that's about it.  Out of that band came a singer in one of my bands, and a guitarist in another.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 30, 2008, 07:40:52 AM »

Interesting: Bluegrass jig meets jazz horns over funk to heavy guitars and Dr. Hook type vocals!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 30, 2008, 07:46:46 AM »
aka The Barking Spider

Wonder how he got that nickname?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 30, 2008, 08:50:12 AM »
Wonder how he got that nickname?

I'd guess from excessive flatulence.

We haven't discussed flatulence yet in this thread.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 30, 2008, 08:58:43 AM »
I'd guess from excessive flatulence.

We haven't discussed flatulence yet in this thread.
Now you did it

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #98 on: April 30, 2008, 09:10:16 AM »

"
Avoid that sun, please, Mark, I implore you. You live in Seattle where it doesn't shine and you're still starting to look a bit Native Americanish on that pic!!! All you now need it a fringed suede dress und you'll be the little Navaho Maiden going by the name of "Guilty Swallow" worshipping the mighty Thunderbird!

I have no problem avoiding the sun here in Seattle......note my complete lack of tan lines! If my skin looks a little darker I'd say its that little bit of non German heritage (Italian) that I have, well that and the lighting..........K.T. Tunstall?! never heard of her!  ;) 

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 30, 2008, 09:50:35 AM »
We have carnivorous arthopods.  I don't think they bark, though.

What I want to know is if The Barking Spider was friends with The Burning Flame?

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 30, 2008, 09:57:55 AM »
So now you want to light the farts?

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 30, 2008, 10:17:47 AM »

Nice Bass, Mark! Great pics too, BTW.  ;)

As for the strap issue, I have a 4" wide leather strap I made in high school that's been a mainstay of mine ever since. The shortest I can get it makes the bass hang to my waist, but I can hang it Jimmy Page (or Steve Clark) style if I want to! Though as cool as that looks (to me anyway), my playing style dictates that I keep it at waist level or slightly lower. Any more than that and my neck and wrist let me know they don't like it pretty quickly! 

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #102 on: April 30, 2008, 09:45:29 PM »

"Nice Bass, Mark! Great pics too, BTW."

George, that bass has a voice! it's THE PERFECT PLAYER!  Beyond badass,and just the right amount of mojo to be cool. Its the one that always goes to every show.   
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 01, 2008, 05:42:21 AM »
SG-RI you mean, right? Wouldn't wanna be caught here recommending the SG-Z  :D which is a nice instrument except for one - however crucial - failing: skimpy bass output!!! Only by playing the "neck" (= actually more a secondary bridge pup, it's so far back!) pup in solo mode and blowing up your bass frequencies beyond belief over a large rig do you get anything approaching a full bass sound. Noteworthy only for being the one Gibson bass with a pau ferro fretboard (announcements said wenge initially, but they settled for the lighter hued stuff).

Uwe

I didn't say you recommended it, only that what you said made me like it. My tastes being slightly off the beaten path anyway. If the SG-RI were long scale it might be OK, but the SG-Z appeals to me because it is different. And I do have a big rig with 15's that even the Rick with the bridge pickup soloed sounds good.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 01, 2008, 05:47:08 AM »
These guys here?

http://flockrock.com/

Sure look and sound like a band old Kansas would feel inspired by.  ;D

Never consciously heard them though "horn rock" appeals to me, I'm a Blood, Sweat & Tears diehard.

Uwe

I doubt it. The Flock I am talking about was probably from the Midwest US, and had a hit (maybe local) in the late sixties "Can't You See" and I have not been able to find anything online about them. I would like an MP3 of that song, I only have a cassette recorded from vinyl.