Author Topic: So, what have you been listening to lately?  (Read 243924 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: So, what have you been listening to lately?
« Reply #4230 on: April 29, 2024, 08:30:22 PM »
Whoever cut and pasted this had an eye for good modern dance choreography.

That is most excellent!
I certainly miss the days of having a nicely functioning spine, mine is more like a badly hanging rusty gate  :-\
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4231 on: April 30, 2024, 09:54:23 AM »
Nice work in that, including the Mercedes auto museum.  Alfonso Jimenez seems to create a number of videos, all high quality.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #4232 on: April 30, 2024, 01:53:51 PM »
They will not change the musical landscape. But I'm just happy to discover a band now and then that makes organic old fashioned rockmusic ;-)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4233 on: April 30, 2024, 08:07:49 PM »
This is good, bit like Rival Sons. Or Black Stone Cherry, but not as bone-crushing heavy. I like it!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #4234 on: May 01, 2024, 03:57:29 AM »
I think they started out as a Southern Rock band.

But the influences of some British artists are seeping through.
They even do a Frankie Miller cover

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4235 on: May 01, 2024, 11:09:01 PM »
Nostalgia time tonight, way back before the Stones became just another Stones tribute band.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #4236 on: May 01, 2024, 11:30:34 PM »
Interesting hearing 19th Nervous Breakdown without the fuzz guitar on the turnaround.

This video in particular feels like the blueprint for a lot of garage and proto-punk bands to follow. The stagecraft, fashion and hair.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4237 on: May 03, 2024, 05:52:32 AM »
Man, I loved the Dolls and if I may immodestly add: long before they were viewed as Punk progenitors, but still as a glammy Yank hard rock band that didn’t play so great. No one - even those same scribes that would later fawn over the Punk revolution - took them seriously at the time, they were dismissed as a vaudeville novelty act like Alice Cooper (but  minus the latter’s single hits). At our school in 1975/76, I was the only guy who had their albums and dug them. But within a year or two the former pariah act morphed (along with Iggy & The Stooges and the MC5) into proto-Punks - still, no one I knew (except me) owned their albums (which I rescued from the bargain and cut-out bin).

What the NYD would have needed was Bob Ezrin (or Tony Visconti) at the production helm, funny no one thought of that at the time. Neither Todd Rundgren for the debut nor Shadow Morton for the sophomore effort (which I prefer in sound) were smart choices.

I did see them decades later, in their reunion phase. And I saw Buster Poindexter in 1988 in NYC, doing a polonaise with the audience to ‘Hot Hot Hot’ towards the end of the gig plus one or two NYD classics strewn into the set (one was Lonely Planet Boy I believe to remember). It was hilarious fun.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2024, 08:48:22 AM by uwe »

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #4238 on: May 03, 2024, 05:56:59 AM »
Those NYD reunion shows I thought were really great.

I got a hang with David Johansen for a bit once (someone gave both of us a ride home) and he's a super nice guy.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4239 on: May 03, 2024, 07:34:41 AM »
Nostalgia time tonight, way back before the Stones became just another Stones tribute band.

Never cared much for the song, but Bill is so friggin' cool in that vid, the gentleman bass player!  :mrgreen:

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #4240 on: May 03, 2024, 12:46:13 PM »
New David Gilmour.  I don't love the song, but it's comforting to know Gilmour is still making new music.  Good solo at the end.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4241 on: May 03, 2024, 07:12:28 PM »
For better or worse, it's David Gilmour, what do you expect, it's like waiting for Mark Knopfler to do something different. :mrgreen: Not a bad track and some Ezrin'esque habits stick - like adding a kiddie choir (Alice Cooper, Kiss, Peter Gabriel, Pink Floyd ...).

Seeing Gilmour explore the limits of the pentatonic blues scale on a Les Paul sure looks weird, but the man can play what he wants.

His many fans will no doubt be pleased and I wasn't prompted to cut the song short either. There are a few bum notes in the solo, he left those, I like that.

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #4242 on: May 03, 2024, 09:20:51 PM »
I agree with all of that.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #4243 on: May 04, 2024, 01:06:22 AM »
I'm a Floyd fan, but they are the perfect example of a band that is far greater than the sum of its parts. Roger Waters solo work is brutal. That quavering, pitchy voice that is plain ugly to listen to. David Gilmour, conversely, can't write songs. He's pushed too hard at the 'voice of Pink Floyd' angle and tipped into historic revisionism.

When he helped tackle the Pink Floyd 'Early Years' box set, Gilmour got in there like George Lucas and reprocessed the album Obscured By Clouds to sound like one of his warm, overly smoothed solo albums. Stinging lead guitars became syrupy and slushily modulated. Drums become flatter in the musical landscape. I prefer the subtle sand-in-the-Vaseline nature of the original album, as Pink Floyd didn't get to cook it up over months in a top flight studio.

This new Gilmour song sounds like a competent tribute to his early '90s vision of the Pink Floyd sound. It also sounds a bit cluttered to my ears. Too much going on but, weirdly, too little to hold it together. I've listened to it a few times but cannot remember any melody, hook or lyric from it. It just sails past rather too slowly. An old man with a lot of money doing the one thing he knows how to do competently.

ajkula66

• View Profile
« Reply #4244 on: May 08, 2024, 06:01:25 PM »
« Last Edit: May 09, 2024, 06:34:11 PM by Dave W »
"...knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules..." (King Crimson)