Author Topic: Badbird for post '88 Thunderbirds any interest?  (Read 2293 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Badbird for post '88 Thunderbirds any interest?
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2014, 03:26:04 PM »
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2014, 04:52:04 AM »
My Badbird studs fit 60's and "76-79" Thunderbirds. I was a little perplexed they don't seem to fit my 2001 Tbird. I am going to take the bass apart and give it another go today and also check the thread.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2014, 06:27:10 AM »
My Badbird studs fit 60's and "76-79" Thunderbirds. I was a little perplexed they don't seem to fit my 2001 Tbird. I am going to take the bass apart and give it another go today and also check the thread.

It's VERY possible Gibson is using import bridges.  In that case the studs/anchors are M8 thread.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 06:32:51 AM »
 I'm guessing your right.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2014, 09:18:53 AM »
  Got my M8 thread studs yesterday and they fit, so Carlo you are right they are using import/metric stuff on USA build.  I have the Butcherbird all set up and man does it play and sound great. It really does feel like your playing a 60's bird. Working with my supplier hope to have product soon.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2014, 09:34:27 AM »
  Got my M8 thread studs yesterday and they fit, so Carlo you are right they are using import/metric stuff on USA build.  I have the Butcherbird all set up and man does it play and sound great. It really does feel like your playing a 60's bird. Working with my supplier hope to have product soon.

Cool!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2014, 09:49:56 AM »

I'm thinking it's going to look great on my N.S. Mk.II!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2014, 09:51:35 AM »
  The Badbird has a much thinner profile than a three point. I always felt the threepoint on new Birds stuck out like a oil rig on the ocean, the profile was way to high for my liking. Action is super low.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 05:33:43 AM by godofthunder »

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2014, 10:58:04 AM »

I don't have any issues with the action on my 3 Points, but I think it will look great and I'll see if it can be used on my Greco as well. 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2014, 02:26:49 PM »

Won't it tend to tip the studs forward due to the string pressure, like on old Les Paul Juniors?  Seems the extended front portion of the bridge will act as a lever to put undue force on the studs/anchors.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2014, 04:15:04 PM »
Naw, the Dasson Laboratories product is tilt free, Scott is a stud that holds.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 08:04:41 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2014, 05:47:46 PM »
  It was a concern but there is no tilt. ;D

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2014, 11:36:14 PM »
I don't have any issues with the action on my 3 Points, but I think it will look great and I'll see if it can be used on my Greco as well.

I've had a standard Badbird on my Greco for a couple years. I'll definitely make the upgrade when the new one is available. 

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2014, 06:58:04 PM »
I've had a standard Badbird on my Greco for a couple years. I'll definitely make the upgrade when the new one is available. 

Yep! Mine's  gonna get some work done on it, tonally it's a killer bass - visually it's meh.