Author Topic: Excellent customer service from Gibson (Europe)  (Read 679 times)

neepheid

• View Profile
    • The Inevitable Teaspoons
Excellent customer service from Gibson (Europe)
« on: January 30, 2015, 04:41:05 AM »
I probably have been quite scathing of Gibson's CS in the past, and with good reason, ranging from them knowing diddly squat about things they don't manufacture any more to being outright ignored.

Anyway, scroll forward to recent times - my EB suddenly became unwell at band rehearsal with a big volume drop.  After erroneously blaming the amp and fiddling with it and cursing at it, I finally worked out that the volume returned if the bridge pickup was soloed.

Only a couple of months of warranty left, and figuring it was a wiring oops I took matters into my own hands and took it to my own tech.  Unfortunately, he informed me that it would seem the neck pickup had gone bad.  Oops.

Was going to get it rewound (seeing as the bobbins are only glue gunned in place, not entombed in epoxy), but I got in touch with Gibson anyway and told them my warranty voiding tale of woe.  To my astonishment, a very friendly chap called Boris offered to send me a replacement pickup "as a courtesy" (which I think is code for "don't void your warranty again, you silly boy" ;) ).  A week later, it arrived.  I fitted it and everything's back to normal (or it will be when I replace an earth wire I forgot about!)

Anyway, just wanted to say it's not all doom and gloom, I'm very grateful to Gibson for digging me out of a hole and I hope to have more of these positive experiences in the future.
Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50
Band: The Inevitable Teaspoons

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Excellent customer service from Gibson (Europe)
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 06:05:50 AM »
They are not all bad there!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 09:36:41 AM »
As they say - it's good to "catch" people doing something right. Glad it worked out!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 04:24:23 PM »
Dear Mr Gibson, I've had a few problems with the electronics in my RD Artist and in my frustration only snapped the PCB a few times... I was er, wondering... :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 08:59:37 PM »

Was going to get it rewound (seeing as the bobbins are only glue gunned in place, not entombed in epoxy), but I got in touch with Gibson anyway and told them my warranty voiding tale of woe.  To my astonishment, a very friendly chap called Boris offered to send me a replacement pickup "as a courtesy" (which I think is code for "don't void your warranty again, you silly boy" ;) ).  A week later, it arrived.  I fitted it and everything's back to normal (or it will be when I replace an earth wire I forgot about!)

I wondered what Boris had been doing all these years!