Author Topic: Top 50 Hard Rock + Metal Bassists of All Time Read More: Top 50 Hard Rock + Met  (Read 3504 times)

FrankieTbird

• View Profile

4stringer77

• View Profile
This reminded me how Gibson made Shavo Odadjian a custom T-bird that never went in to further production. So there is such a thing as a Gibson custom bass but only for established artists.
That's a nice looking EB2 JPJ has too!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 02:38:57 PM by 4stringer77 »
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

nofi

• View Profile
see a 3 string bass at #17.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
We're listing to port, Captain...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
It's an ok list, lots of usual suspects. I wouldn't rate Cronos as an exceptional bassist, but Venom had their 15 minutes of heavy metal fame and were a lasting influence in certain niche quarters.

I guess Steve Harris is there somewhere too? Not undeservedly, he is certainly among the loudest bassists in the mix of heavy metal recordings, always busily clattering along.  :mrgreen:
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel

Another list to argue about

http://loudwire.com/top-hard-rock-metal-bassists-of-all-time/

I'm proud of myself.  I've actually heard of more than half of those bands!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Heavy Metal is a lifelong condition.

Highlander

• View Profile
... with a half-life, on occasion...

(bassist not on the list)
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

nofi

• View Profile
they put harris at number 1. don't know why, the placement seems kind of random. one of the few metal guys to use fingers.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Highlander

• View Profile
I prefer to use my fingers...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Tom Araya of Slayer is only #11 despite this endorsement.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
Tom Araya of Slayer is only #11 despite this endorsement.

He would be quite flattered if that were real. He is a supposedly devout Catholic. Sadly, Slayer has sucked for many, many years now and even before Jeff Hanneman's death, were trading on their name and nostalgia. Even if Lemmy and ACDC put out the same album every few years, at least those are interesting. Slayer has been self-parody since Metallica made it cool.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
I noticed a couple other finger players on there there: Butler of course... Frank Bello... and Entwistle who flip-flopped. More probably if I could make myself scroll through it again.

What I found funny was the number of times they said some variant of "he might not seem impressive but hey he's in an influential band so he must be awesome!"  Never seen so many disclaimers in a "greatest of all time" list.

Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
Procrastinating very badly instead of doing late-night work so it's time for bean fingerstyle-player counting ... I'm certainly not intimately familiar with all these guys' work but it's pretty easy to find photo/video evidence, so here goes:

Ament
Briggs
Anthony
Mendez?
Christian
Bello
Fieldy
Lester
Martinie
Commerford
Bruce
DiGiorgio
Jones
Webster
Trujillo
Claypool
Myung
Flea
Sheehan
Entwistle
Burton
Lee
Butler
Harris

24 of 50 across a pretty wide range of styles... Maybe the "rockers use picks" stereotype should be put to rest!
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
they put harris at number 1. don't know why, the placement seems kind of random. one of the few metal guys to use fingers.

He certainly has dexterity and endurance. I haven't heard anything new or surprising from him on bass since the Maiden debut came out in 1980, but then the same holds true for Angus Young too. Since 1975 or so.

I always find it slightly amusing that Harris professes to "hate slap bass", yet his own style is highly percussive (and mixed that way too by the Martin Birches and Kevin Shirleys of this world), he just doesn't play funky.

For me personally, that sound would be too noisy/clattery, but of course that is exactly the ingredient that gets him heard with Iron Maiden's three lead guitar army. I think he does what he does well.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 07:46:12 AM by uwe »