Author Topic: Let's talk about storage...  (Read 4165 times)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: Let's talk about storage...
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2010, 05:00:57 AM »
Lord String says, "Free, free, set them free."  He also preaches population control, except for his nine rugrats of course.

JAE kept most of his collection in storage, Bass Culture and  the clip from 'The Kids are Alright' were staged.  He snorted coke with a hooker right after taking his heart medicine.

Draw conclusions as you may... ;D

Early pickguards shrink, case or not, it's the composition of the plastic used, especially in 'tortoise shell'.  Formaldehyde is not present in plastic or plywood cases, only US MDF or particleboard.  I'm not sure if Canada follows EU rules but if so no formaldehyde in any of theirs either whatever the composition.  BTW, no formaldehyde in Chinese plywood or particleboard, they manufacture to EU standards.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2010, 08:27:51 AM »

I keep my basses out on stands all the time, they go in a case when they go to a show............

I love seeing them in my house, right now my collection needs 2 rooms, plus I'm having a custom display case made for my dining room. Seeing my basses inspires me and my life everyday ;D 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2010, 08:53:34 AM »
.......BTW, no formaldehyde in Chinese plywood or particleboard, they manufacture to EU standards.

To that I say BS!  :P  Yes, on paper the Chinese say that they have no formaldehyde in their products - just like they said there was no lead in the paint on all of those kids toys. 

Oh, and I'm a in the case guy myself for the most part...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2010, 09:43:53 AM »
While I was "retired" the Peter Cook Thunderbird, the RD Artist, the Hohner Jack, and the SG all lived in the loft - winter or summer, for most of 17 years... :vader:

I'm already estranged from most of my coleagues here and I'm not sure if my rep could get any worse... ;D

I like you "Lefty" - you called her "She..." ;)

Oh yeah, two chances of getting a wall hanger in our house... (but I does got the shed...)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2010, 09:44:37 AM »
I think one of the keys about storing in a case is humidity.  I've lived mostly in low humidity areas, and my P-bass was Ok in its case for 23 years.  Same for a '64 EB-0 that was in a case for most of 20 years.  However, in a humid climate I suspect either case would have become (at least) musty.

Storing via neck-hanging or in a rack doesn't hurt a thing, and avoids musty case problems.  There are any number of multi-guitar rack storage options out there.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Lightyear

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2010, 10:17:15 AM »

I keep my basses out on stands all the time, they go in a case when they go to a show............

I love seeing them in my house, right now my collection needs 2 rooms, plus I'm having a custom display case made for my dining room. Seeing my basses inspires me and my life everyday ;D 

Make sure you post some pics of that when you get it done - I've had some thoughts of that myself though I really have nothing that worthy :-[

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2010, 10:59:22 AM »

It's being custom made by Playola ( they're in Texas, I forget where) and I should have it by the end of October. They were very nice to deal with, tho they don't make a stock case to fit a Thunderbird - I ended up tracing one of my '76s for them to use as a template.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2010, 05:33:55 PM »
I think one of the keys about storing in a case is humidity.  I've lived mostly in low humidity areas, and my P-bass was Ok in its case for 23 years.  Same for a '64 EB-0 that was in a case for most of 20 years.  However, in a humid climate I suspect either case would have become (at least) musty.

Musty............Mildew.............FUNGUS Not as much of a problem in Minnesota, as the extremely cold winters take all of the humidity out of the air. It does get hot & humid in the summer, but I think below zero temps are a bigger concern. I have bought used cases that stunk so bad, that it was a few weeks before my wife would let them in.........
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

GonzoBass

• View Profile
    • ReverbNation.com/GonzoBass
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2010, 04:44:58 AM »
I keep mine in their cases, upright, on an inside wall.
Yes, I can testify to this.
Never store/hang against an outside wall if the temp varies greatly in your area.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass.com

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2010, 05:55:46 AM »

Storing via neck-hanging or in a rack doesn't hurt a thing, and avoids musty case problems.

I have to disagree. The Heather Poly Gibson Bass IV that I had had severe discoloring on the headstock from where it had been hanging on a hanger that reacted with the nitro finish, and my Rickenbacker came with two spots of finish missing in the same place where a previous owner was not careful about hanging it by the neck.

I have a SG guitar and Thunderbird bass that I have owned for over 40 years; they have both lived in their cases the whole time. Nothing bad happened while in their cases and finish checking is minimal on both. I still think in the case, under the bed is the best place to store a bass.

However Pilgrim, I like your wall hanging scheme, but I would hang the lower row a bit higher so that the bottom row headstocks were midway up the necks of the top row, alowing more room for movement.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 06:03:01 AM by the mojo hobo »

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2010, 07:46:10 AM »
funny, i was thinking about moving the top row down for more headstock space under the ceiling. ???
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Lightyear

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2010, 08:55:12 AM »
It's being custom made by Playola ( they're in Texas, I forget where) and I should have it by the end of October. They were very nice to deal with, tho they don't make a stock case to fit a Thunderbird - I ended up tracing one of my '76s for them to use as a template.

Playola?  In the back of my mind I seem to remember them as jukebox manufacturers - if this is the same outfit I can only imagine how nice this will turn out!

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2010, 10:51:46 AM »
juke box = rockola
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Bert

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2010, 12:06:03 PM »
I have 2 porsche designed Lacie's.
'68 4001|'73 4001 MG|'73 4001 AZG (PW refin)|'75 4000 MG|'79 4001 JG FL|'81 4001S AZG|'86 4003 MID/BT|'86 4003 Shadow|'86 4003S JG|'88 4003s Blackstar|'89 4003 Grey/BT FL|'96 4003S/8 FG|'98 4003S/5 JG| 05 650D|06 4004 CII BBR||B-115|RB 30||?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2010, 12:21:57 PM »
I have 2 porsche designed Lacie's.

;D

I'm envious. I only have Seagates.