Author Topic: Favorite jeff Beck Bassist?  (Read 3687 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite jeff Beck Bassist?
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2010, 04:09:19 PM »
Interesting, I hear more attitude in her playing than just another session player. She kind of pokes and prods beck almost.

She can play circles around me. But she's no Jeff Beck or even Ronnie Wood on bass as regards originality and don't-give-a-shit-if this-is-unexpected-now freedom of expression. On that whole recent live album with Beck I hear nothing that for even a second surprised me. It sounds all very learned to me, "Tal was best in bass class and always did her homework". When she slaps, it's neat and cute, but I don't hear any Bootsy Collins, Larry Graham or TM Stevens grime in it. When she plays fast runs, it's liquid and mechanically perfect, but there is no Chris Squire or JAE edginess to her playing. And when she plays something intricate it's not nerdy like Geddy Lee or the guy from Primus or strange like Jack Bruce. She is most likely a technically better and more versatile player than all these people and she is still very young, I'll give her that.

It's not because she is a woman, I hasten to add, I find M'shell Ndegeocello's grooves awe-inspiring.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2010, 03:25:37 AM »
Clive Chaman by a long shot.  And my close second is probably Tim Bogert. 

Agreed-

Jeff beck has really never allowed his bassist to do much, unless they are young attractive females.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2010, 05:54:28 AM »

Agreed-

Jeff beck has really never allowed his bassist to do much, unless they are young attractive females.

He certainly didnt when I saw him during the Guitar shop tour. ;D      ( ie no bassist at all)
Digresion our specialty!

rockinrayduke

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2010, 05:58:29 AM »
Clive, Bogert, Bascomb and Wood. Sounds like a law firm.

luve2fli

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2010, 10:01:12 AM »
+1 Wilbur Bascomb .... deadly player, I think I wore out my original copy of Wired lifting his lines!
"I think it's only proper that I play until the last note of a set, then fall over and die. The band won't have to play an encore and they'll still get paid for the gig" (Dr. John)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2010, 02:24:52 PM »

HUH?  Seems he let Ron Wood do pretty much what he wanted judging by his bass playing on Rod Stewart's solo records.  Bogert was Bogert and definitely not a young attractive female.  Ronnie on the other hand may have occasionally tried to pass, especially in the Faces.

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2010, 05:20:28 PM »
Tal.

Love the TRUTH album still tho tooo

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2010, 02:49:21 AM »
I hate "attractive young females". Unless they ride a Flying V in the Halestorm.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2010, 08:45:19 AM »
HUH?  Seems he let Ron Wood do pretty much what he wanted judging by his bass playing on Rod Stewart's solo records.  Bogert was Bogert and definitely not a young attractive female.  Ronnie on the other hand may have occasionally tried to pass, especially in the Faces.

Anything past Wired, (78?)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2010, 09:09:56 AM »
Anything past Wired, (78?)

By '78 JB had almost 15 yrs in the spotlight and picked bass players who complemented his playing and knew their role was to support arguably Rock's best guitar player.  He enjoys having women in his band showcasing their chops.  Paladino is definitely a guy who likes to play a support role, I believe he filled the bass chair before Tal.  Who knows what the next guy (girl) will be like?

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2010, 09:53:38 AM »
I remember when there was talk about Jeff Beck & Stanley Clarke starting a band in the early 80's ?, but never happened

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2010, 11:05:14 AM »
I remember when there was talk about Jeff Beck & Stanley Clarke starting a band in the early 80's ?, but never happened

Yeah, I recall that, don't know what happened.  JB has walked away from a lot of stuff, he's well known to commit and then bail.  If it doesn't feel right to him he walks quickly without considering the consequences to his career or others'.  I remember when he supposedly was in as the replacement for Mick Taylor in the Stones, that would have lasted about 3 dates.  Ron Wood took the job and it was all downhill from there for him imo.  JB left a Rod Stewart tour in the 80s(?) after 10 dates when he probably really needed the dough 'cause he felt dissed by Rod.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2010, 09:37:46 PM »
The whole Rolling Stones thing has a slightly different slant on it in his words from his Biography. Dont hold me to this completely because its a while since I read it but I think he suggested that he was lured to France during the recording of a Stones album by Jagger after being asked to help out. When he got there he hardly saw any of the Stones and when he got a whiff that they expected to join the band he hoofed it straight back to blighty.
Digresion our specialty!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2010, 04:32:46 AM »
Actually Jeff really plays a lot better with attractive girls in his band.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2010, 08:39:18 AM »
The whole Rolling Stones thing has a slightly different slant on it in his words from his Biography. Dont hold me to this completely because its a while since I read it but I think he suggested that he was lured to France during the recording of a Stones album by Jagger after being asked to help out. When he got there he hardly saw any of the Stones and when he got a whiff that they expected to join the band he hoofed it straight back to blighty.

My recollection of what the bio said is similar to yours, my mistake.  I  may have a memory of a rumor linking Beck and the Stones in RS mag but no one should ever take my word for anything without checking another source.  More and more the lights are on with nobody home.