Author Topic: Bill Wyman's Steel Wheels rig  (Read 3501 times)

Alanko

• View Profile
Re: Bill Wyman's Steel Wheels rig
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2020, 01:55:04 PM »
$384K for his '69 Mustang.

Like a certain Crispy Decker of this parish, I'm a quiet champion of the Mustang bass and consider it to have been unfairly maligned, historically. Saying that, I find it hilarious that a '69 Mustang Bass is the most expensive bass in the world right now.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2020, 04:12:57 PM »
Noel Redding had a white Mustang which I think he only rarely played.  I'm pretty sure Hendrix used it on one of the demo tracks somewhere.  But I wouldn't be able to pin that down.  Possibly on the "South Saturn Delta" compilation album.  I've never been much interested in Mustangs except during a brief period earlier in the year when I was buying or trying to buy basses almost at random.  If I had, that would have been my first Fender, although I once borrowed a Precision bass for a gig and played a Jazz bass knockoff I bought on impulse which I ended up playing at three really good gigs.  Well, two were; the third might have been debatable. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2020, 05:38:46 PM »
It is hilarious that a Mustang is the most expensive bass on the planet .
I like shortscales but I've never really taken to one when I've picked them up .

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2020, 08:53:36 AM »
I'm a short scale lover. My Bronco (same body as a Mustang, FWIW) is one of the easiest basses to play. I have a Gretsch 2202 chrome bsoapbar pickup in mine and it sounds great.  I think the Mustang and its close relatives are among Fender's better accomplishments.

My '64 EB-0 is lighter, but otherwise similar ergonomically.

My Gretsch Thunderjet is the nicest bass I own, and a great player with beautiful fit & finish.

MY 1970's Univox hollowbody "coily" (335-copy) is a nice period piece even if the staple pickups aren't special. It sounds like a 70's bass with its 20-year-old flats, which is all it needs to do.

And there's my Dean Cabbie bass, yellow with checkerboard sides, which now has dual Gretsch blackface Filtertron pickups. It's a showy crowd-pleaser.

I'm having enough fun with short scales that I don't play my '63 Precision very often.  8)

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2020, 10:10:59 AM »
Those Cabby's are funky . I wasn't too clear on the last post , it was a Mustang that I've never quite taken to , I'm a confirmed short scale fan .
I started using a Dano Longhorn . Initially didn't care for the short scale , over time became my favourite bass . Don't quite understand how it happened , but I'm ok with that .
The Dano also opened my eyes to some things that might be quite inexpensive , and still a lot of fun to use and play .  I think I'm up to eight shorties now , and the usual classics .
My little Gibson DC Jr has become a new favourite . They're gorgeous little things .

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2020, 01:28:42 PM »
Those Cabby's are funky . I wasn't too clear on the last post , it was a Mustang that I've never quite taken to , I'm a confirmed short scale fan .
I started using a Dano Longhorn . Initially didn't care for the short scale , over time became my favourite bass . Don't quite understand how it happened , but I'm ok with that .
The Dano also opened my eyes to some things that might be quite inexpensive , and still a lot of fun to use and play .  I think I'm up to eight shorties now , and the usual classics .
My little Gibson DC Jr has become a new favourite . They're gorgeous little things .

That Cabbie bass does look cool with the checkerboard design.  I think those are 32 inch--not sure.  I think I also became a confirmed short scale user, but it was just something that happened.  But that's what I've played a lot through the years.  Earlier in the year, I did start seriously looking for a long scale because it had been 2006 since I even bought one.  But those plans got changed when the price dropped so much on the Gibson LP Jr. Tribute DC bass.  I liked that so much, I wanted another one.  I couldn't find one, but got a Gibson SG instead.  I've just ordered the Vintage (brand) SG copy which Chris says sounds almost as good as a real one.  So my plans this year changed from planning to buy one long scale to buying three short scales.  I also, BTW, have a Dano, but a Hodad, as well as a few other short scales, including a few Hofner Contemporary violin basses. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2020, 01:38:13 PM »
I never went for shorties but am liking my new DC tribute so much that now I kinda want one of the G&L shorties!
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2020, 01:41:18 PM »
Actually you're right - the Dean Cabbie is a 32" scale, and so is my orange Gretsch hollowbody 5123.

I don't notice the difference much when playing them, so I tend to forget. I have a half-dozen short scales, a couple of 32" basses, and 3 or 4 full scale bases.  I do notice the difference when I pick up the 34" basses, as I tend to play below the 5th fret a lot.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 01:47:29 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2020, 05:37:40 PM »
Those little DC Jrs are truly fabulous little basses !  When I first saw the specs they pushed a lot of buttons for me , but I thought they were a little pricey for a simply finished slab student instrument .
So I decided to wait for a sale or something used .
Nothing happened in Canada , but when GC blew some out I jumped . Mine had nasty fretsprout and a wretched setup , but I didn't want to deal with cross border bullshit , and I just wanted to play the thing , so I cleaned up the sprout , and set it to my preferences , and discovered a little jewel .
And every time I pick it up it makes me wonder .
It's a really nice little bass .

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2020, 07:30:47 PM »
Oh yeah, setup makes a big difference. The one I tried in Guitar Center had action a mile high and was underwhelming. The one I bought at $599 from Chicago Music Exchange arrived feeling nearly perfect. I thought of lowering the action a hair but decided it wasn't necessary. I love playing it.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2020, 01:17:14 AM »
Laura Cox's bass player with an LP Jr. Tribute DC.  Looking at that makes me think maybe it was good I got worn cherry instead of ebony like my SG.  Still, when it gets down to it all 4 colors looked good.  The color really wasn't my main consideration. 

« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 01:37:56 AM by westen44 »

--Blaise Pascal

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2020, 02:17:00 AM »

I'm having enough fun with short scales that I don't play my '63 Precision very often.  8)

Me too, I'm fully converted and I have actually started to thin out the herd of longs. I'll be selling my '74 ash/maple P this month, I just cannot justify having it and not playing it for many years.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2020, 09:07:42 PM »
I never went for shorties but am liking my new DC tribute so much that now I kinda want one of the G&L shorties!

Sweetwater has the Tribute Fallout in stock now, but I don't think that's going to compare to the LP Tribute DC.  Still, it is priced right, only $599.99.  Where those are made, I don't know.  I can only guess. 

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2020, 08:55:34 AM »
Aren't the Tributes made in Indonesia?

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2020, 09:24:02 AM »
Aren't the Tributes made in Indonesia?

That would have been my guess.  But I've been unable to find any specific info on that. 

--Blaise Pascal