Author Topic: Music Man HD-130 and Ampeg cab review  (Read 44955 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Music Man HD-130 and Ampeg cab review
« Reply #165 on: September 06, 2013, 08:23:15 AM »
I don't think notches will hurt anything, and they're not hard to fill if needed later.

If you have some long-ignored carbon paper hiding in the basement, you could use it between the speaker and cab to mark the places where the notches go.

Yeah, carbon paper, I vaguely remember that!  Don't have any though.  Some expert measuring should do it!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 06, 2013, 11:29:20 AM »
I had the same problem once...seems like I got a wood rasp and went around the top edge of the speaker cut, and just opended it up slightly...so that the top edge of the cut was rounded...like rounding it off with a router...was enough to get the speaker in.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #167 on: September 06, 2013, 01:05:55 PM »
Yeah, I've had to do that before (notches as well as the rasp thing... always with old EVs, though not the EV I put in my RH115, usually ones designed for rear mounting).

Carbon paper and measuring are great but hardly required.  Just place the speaker in the hole and apply pressure - the wood will compress where the frame hits and presto.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 06, 2013, 01:26:18 PM »
Yeah, it won't be hard to file out some notches.  Just have to find the time!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #169 on: September 06, 2013, 02:42:00 PM »
Yeah, it won't be hard to file out some notches.  Just have to find the time!

Easier to use a jig saw to nibble them out.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 06, 2013, 05:04:49 PM »
Or a grinder wheel on a drill!

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 06, 2013, 06:50:19 PM »
 Just place the speaker in the hole and apply pressure - the wood will compress where the frame hits and presto.

Good idea but, if you your wife has bright lipstick she doesn't like, just smear a bit on the edges of the speaker and press it into place - there's your cut point(s).  You can also use chalk box chalk as well.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 07, 2013, 08:26:01 AM »
I had the same problem once...seems like I got a wood rasp and went around the top edge of the speaker cut, and just opended it up slightly...so that the top edge of the cut was rounded...like rounding it off with a router...was enough to get the speaker in.

my MM115H cab was rounded when i got it.   didn't think why but the EV fit right in....
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 07, 2013, 10:07:37 AM »
Well, a rasp and 15 minutes of heavy filing did the trick.  I still put a thin layer of cork around the hole as the speaker braces still hit the sides just a little and I was already hitting the metal screw inserts with the file on all of the screw holes.  Fits nice and snug now!

I realize one of the problems with the speaker is that it is really made to fit a cab from behind, not drop in from the front like the MM's are.  The front of the EV has the heavy cardboard ring on the front so you can mount it from the back.  Not so on the speaker's rear of the rim.  So, even though it's a bit of mis-installation, it works.  I am going to add some longer screws with washers as the stock screws barely hold without pulling through the holes in the speaker rim.

I'll ad some longer screws with a washer tomorrow.  Otherwise, all is well!  Meanwhile, I cranked the amp up and the sound is amazing.  When I think back to how thin and nasally it sounded when I first got it, I'm amazed the difference $200 worth of speaker and stuffing make.  It thumps, it's bassy, it's clean and no farting at volume.  I'm so pleased.  The casters also rattle less, so I'm thinking I'll leave them on for a bot.  They are handy for moving things.

I recommend the acousta-stuf without reservation.  I put 5 lbs. in the cab and it sounds terrific.  I'm ordering 5 lbs. more for the other cab  (about $44 with shipping).  Not cheap, but easy and effective.  I'll leave the JBL in that one and it should sound great as well.  It's so nice not dealing with fiberglass issues.  You can handle this stuff with your bare hands and no mask.  Just stuff it in.

After I stuff the second cab, I'll take the cabs back to practice and report back on full bore operations in the club.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 07, 2013, 10:38:00 AM »
OK, now I'm confused.  I plugged in the second cab, set the amp to 4 ohm and not the EV is producing constant static on every note, even at low volume.  As long as the note is sustained, the static is present.  The static sounds purely electronic, not speaker or cone farting.What gives???

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #175 on: September 07, 2013, 10:44:03 AM »
Re Mounting and Stuffing:

EVs were designed to go in front or back of the baffle, hole diameter obviously was spec'd bigger for EV than what was original OEM.  For front mount you should use a thin open cell weatherstrip, 3/8" wide by 1/8" thick, original was thin cork.

As to cabinet stuffing...go to Walmart, buy 2 of their cheapest pillows, last time I was there they were 2 for $5, cut them open and pull out the filling.  It's the same stuff you are paying $44 for.

Amp noises:  Just my 2 cents but if it was mine I'd get it to a competent tech and have him go through it.  If the wrong part goes south you could have a major repair bill on your hands.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 10:49:58 AM by dadagoboi »

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 07, 2013, 10:58:38 AM »
Right on Carlo.  I am happy with the mounting and the stuffing.  After going back and trying different combinations, both cabs together or individually are producing static.  Pretty sure it's the amp now.  Looks like it's off to the local tube amp guy for a diagnosis.

One thing about the pillow stuffing, I read on several speaker forums that lots of folks have tried the batting from pillows or for sewing. The acoustic wizards on the forums do not recommend it, claiming its acoustic properties just aren't up to the task.  Who knows?  I do know the acousta-stuf has been tested and is recommended by lots of speaker folks.  A few bucks more, but I can handle it.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #177 on: September 07, 2013, 03:04:57 PM »

One thing about the pillow stuffing, I read on several speaker forums that lots of folks have tried the batting from pillows or for sewing. The acoustic wizards on the forums do not recommend it, claiming its acoustic properties just aren't up to the task. 

While pillows clearly are not designed with "acoustic properties" in mind, I am inclined to believe that one batch of poly stuffing is similar to another.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 07, 2013, 03:46:26 PM »
While pillows clearly are not designed with "acoustic properties" in mind, I am inclined to believe that one batch of poly stuffing is similar to another.

Not according to speaker "nerds.". Kinda reminds me of poly vs. nitro debates.  Either way, the cab kicks butt now.  My amp just has to work.  I am gonna bring home my Mesa and test the cabs.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #179 on: September 07, 2013, 09:13:52 PM »
Just think - with the right stuffing, you could have had a Sealey Posturepedic Cab!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."