Author Topic: Birmingham's Finest ...  (Read 325 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Birmingham's Finest ...
« on: November 07, 2022, 07:40:55 AM »
Finally. And the proper way to do it with all ex-members included in the live performance, whether they left 43 years ago (drummer Les Binks) or haven been involved in a war of words with the band more lately (KK Downing, who now has a slightly taller Flying V wielding twin-baby-brother on stage).

They obviously picked the live performance songs so that Glenn Tipton, handicapped by Parkinson's disease, could still play along. Heart-warming.

Having this guy from Detroit induct you genially is of course the icing on the metal cake.

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: Birmingham's Finest ...
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2022, 09:15:40 AM »
Cool, I'll have to watch this tonight.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2022, 09:28:52 AM »
with all ex-members included in the live performance,

All, except:

Tim "Ripper" Owens (1996-2003)
Al Atkins (1969-1973)
John Partridge (1969-1970)
John Ellis (1970-1971)
Alan "Skip" Moore (1971-1973, 1975-1977)
Chris "Congo" Campbell (1972-1973)
Bruno Stapenhill (1969-1970)

:popcorn:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2022, 09:51:55 AM »
Oh come on, most of those did not record and/or were not inducted. And you forgot Dave Holland (who is deceased, but was inducted and whose past criminal sentence for alleged youth molestation is viewed as raising many procedural and witness questions today). I should have written "all relevant ex-members".

You're right with Ripper Owens, but again he wasn't inducted because - unfairly so - he gets the blame for the popularity dip JP had during his difficult tenure. JP without Halford was always a doomed undertaking. Just as Halford without Priest was a three-legged dog.

"Real" Judas Priest only started when Glenn Tipton joined shortly before their debut album as second lead guitarist, he became their chief songwriter, musical director and the lead guitarist for all flashy parts. KK Downing might have been the heart of Priest, but Tipton became the brain.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 01:22:14 PM by uwe »

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2022, 09:52:07 AM »
But they did bring out Dolly

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2022, 09:53:39 AM »
Oh come on, most of those did not record and/or were not inducted. And you forgot Dave Holland (who is deceased, but was inducted and whose past criminal sentence for alleged youth molestation is viewed as raising many procedural and witness questions today). I should have written "all relevant ex-members".

You're right with Ripper Owens, but again he wasn't inducted because - unfairly so - he gets the blame for the popularity dip JP had during his difficult tenure. JP without Halford was always a doomed undertaking.

"Real" Judas Priest only started when Glenn Tipton joined shortly before their debut album as second lead guitarist, he became their chief songwriter, musical director and the lead guitarist for all flashy parts. KK Downing might have been the heart of Priest, but Tipton became the brain.

I didn't "forget" Dave Holland. Because he's dead and buried. Should they have dug him up?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2022, 09:56:53 AM »
 :mrgreen:

Certainly some aspects of his criminal trial need to be dug up. But with him dead and no descendants there is sadly no impetus for that.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2022, 11:37:19 AM »
But they did bring out Dolly

Bedankt, I didn't know! Lovely. Halford, not surprising for a gay man, is  a great fan of "divas" and female singers such as Dolly, Joan Baez, Tina Turner, Cher, Madonna, Pink and Lady Gaga. He can be a real fan boy (like when Joan Baez demanded to meet him at Live Aid and he walked anxiously to her trailer thinking she'd admonish him for Priest's "Diamonds & Rust" cover only to tell him that it was her son's favorite cover version of a Baez song and that her son had asked her to meet him!).

Knowing Dame Halford's penchant for sartorial elegance, I believe he appreciates the many costume changes of female performers too. Dolly certainly looked like she was applying for Priest ...  :mrgreen:

Dolly is a great sport, she wrote a new song for the RRHoF induction called Rockin' - that is when she appeared in the Priest'esque attire: "Well....I figured if I'm  gonna be in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, I'm gonna have to earn it!"

« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 12:02:59 PM by uwe »

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2022, 12:36:40 PM »
Really heart warming to see all of that. Les Binks playing those straight rhythm songs which is'nt really his favourite style is nice to see. He did'nt really leave JP as a happay camper so it's good the hatches are buried and hopefully for more than one night. Anrything can be done thinking of Helloween for example. They now sport all the past and new significant members on one stage.