Author Topic: NAMM news  (Read 6262 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: NAMM news
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2013, 01:10:49 PM »
Didn't they have that phase cancellation issue like hell when they came out originally and didn't that kill them commercially?

Not that it ever hurt the Jazz Bass!  :mrgreen:

Turn one pickup down 10% and there is no problem.  Works for me, as I want the bridge pickup lower anyway.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2013, 12:55:28 AM »
I never noticed any phase problems with any of the vintage Sabres I've played, certainly nothing approaching Jazz-like cancellation. I think they just came out at the wrong time and sounded too much like the Stingray...and a Precision. Most 70's bassists already had a Precision, so they just bought Stingrays if they needed that sound. G&L was the nail in the coffin of the Sabre after that.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2013, 09:24:37 AM »
I like phase cancellation. That's why all my basses have 2 pickups. Plus there's always the option of rolling one off a bit.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2013, 11:42:01 AM »
I'm fine with phase cancellation too. I read in a comparatively recent Sabre review (where Sabres were revered as cult objects) that with both pups full throttle you got that incredibly deep, but heavily scooped sound no one knew what to with at the time, but which a lot of heavy metal players would die for today.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2013, 06:20:46 PM »
Turn one pickup down 10% and there is no problem.  Works for me, as I want the bridge pickup lower anyway.

early ones had toggle and one volume.  that being said i never really noticed the cancellation.  pretty much all 2 pickup basses have some degree of it and it is kind of normal for me.   
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2013, 09:33:50 PM »
....  pretty much all 2 pickup basses have some degree of it and it is kind of normal for me.   

Yes, they all do. Some are more noticeable than others, depending on the frequency response of the pickups and how far apart they are. It happens with some of the wavelengths that are shorter than the distance between the pickups.