Author Topic: Ten Bands That Should Retire  (Read 1075 times)

doombass

• View Profile
Re: Ten Bands That Should Retire
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2023, 09:32:28 AM »
Because almost no one from the original band is still alive (just Gary Rossington if you leave Ricky Medlocke out who played drums - not guitar -  early on with Skynyrd)? I never saw them with Ronnie, only with his sibling. One gig - as a double-headliner with Purple in 2003 - was great.

The other, on the German leg of their more recent farewell tour, sounded a bit tired (but it might have been an off night) and they suffered from a way too small PA system in a too large hall, which they had to turn up beyond what it could reasonably take, sounding shrill and painful in consequence. My impression though is that they have concluded their touring life in any case, haven't they?

I'm always a bit surprised at how their political views changed. From a band that campaigned for Jimmy Carter (with Ronnie at the helm) to one that campaigned for George W Bush (fronted by Johnny). They did, however, balk at the inauguration of a more recent former President and also didn't like to be part of a campaign video.

https://www.billboard.com/music/music-news/lynyrd-skynyrd-reject-free-bird-video-trump-golf-course-8532917/

And they did away with the Confederate Battle Flag (still lavishly flaunted in 2003) 'already' in 2012 (deeming it to have been "hijacked by the wrong people"); on their farewell tour they performed before an oversize Stars & Stripes backdrop. Which I guess makes them by some people RINOs - REBELS IN NAME ONLY !!!  :mrgreen:
Gary Rossington passed March 6 so now I'd guess they  call it quits. R.I.P Gary.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2023, 09:41:02 AM »
The Pointer Sisters have shows booked. I think they're down to one Original member Ruth.

I was just humming this one the other day. With all respect to Van Halen, I prefer this song more.

Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2023, 11:51:34 AM »
That's right. Sadly, Anita Pointer died this past New Year's Eve.

Always loved her country duet with Earl Thomas Conley, who passed in 2019. This is from the mid 80s.