Author Topic: Antigua MIM P Bass  (Read 2923 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Antigua MIM P Bass
« on: July 29, 2012, 08:41:32 AM »
 The Antigua P and J have been at the HOG for a while now and I have been messing with the P bass and really digging it. Yesterday I was killing time at the HOG and compared the MIM Antigua to  several American Standards and found I liked the Antigiua the best. Great playing and sounding bass, fit and finish (such as it is) are excellent. I was never a fan of the Antigua finish ugly, then ugly now. I must say I am intrigued by this bass. If you mare looking for a Antigua P I wouldn't waste my money on a 70's one, These are FAR better.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

patman

• View Profile
Re: Antigua MIM P Bass
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 02:45:29 PM »
I never minded the finish, but in the old days, all the Antigua's that I ever played were dogs...might have been a 70's QC thing. Some of the 70's things, though, (think shag carpet) were not so bad. I actually kinda like the finish. Yes, I've had a few beers.

Have a wonderful Sunday!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 02:54:35 PM by patman »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 08:03:03 PM »
Antigua is always ugly, no matter how good the bass is.

Not all 70s Fenders are bad, though I've played some real stinkers, especially from the late 70s. Very hit and miss.

Bluesman Vintage

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 06:50:28 AM »
I am Building a snotty green antigua  ELDORADO bass (jazz) for Newsong Bassist mark Clay.  he opted to have a p style neck pickup and  a heavily greened out  aged look.  Ill post pics of it when I fugure out how.

Im ot a fan of antigua either, but it does have its place in the vintage coolness world.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 05:08:20 PM »
OK. I have to make a confession. After reading this thread and looking at some Antigua basses I really started digging the look, so I bought one. I played it at practice tonight and I still love it.

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 05:38:50 PM »
The 70's were an extreme hit or miss for Fender and Gibson, (and don't forget about the cars AND music  as well). It's when Japan really stepped up. Their basses and guitars put Fender and Gibson on notice.