Author Topic: Rickenbacker bass book launch event  (Read 6260 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Rickenbacker bass book launch event
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2013, 06:31:58 PM »
Amazon says July 9th publication date.

Paul Boyer

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2013, 08:33:22 PM »
Yes, July 9 is the official release date which means that is the date the publisher expects to have copies to book dealers and outlets. It'll probably be available before that date, but don't know for sure. The book is printed in Hong Kong, and I suspect the entire stock will be in a container on the proverbial "slow boat from China." Once it gets out of the Stateside harbor, the stock will go to some distribution point to be shipped on to the dealers who ordered, and then out to customers or put on the shelves for your reading pleasure! :)
Author
"The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years as Rock's Bottom"

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2013, 02:52:08 AM »
My issue of the book is on it's way, but I am way too curious... Could someone make a crappy phone pic of the page I am on?  ;D I believe it's page 27.

Paul Boyer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2013, 08:15:34 AM »
I just sent you a shot, Chris. Just an adviso to all, please don't post photos of contents of the book (or any book) on this or any website without written permission of the publisher/author. (Copyright laws).
Author

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2013, 08:47:26 AM »
Thanks, Paul! You are totally right! It's against copyright to do that. And please notice I just am curious about the page so that's why I asked for a crappy pic;) Didn't want to get the whole content online. You worked too hard for it.

On the other hand it could be good to have some very small, not readable pages online, so people can see how good the book looks. Just my humble opinion.

When I have the book, I wanted to make a crappy pic of myself in the book, to show on facebook and to gather interest in the book among my Rickenbacker playing fb-friends. But I won't do that if you are against it.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2013, 04:20:50 PM »
I believe it is acceptable to "review" a publication and a small section of text for "illustrative purposes", as Chris should know, being in the trade...  ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Thornton Davis

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2013, 05:30:30 PM »
I received an email today from Amazon saying that my copy of the book has been shipped to me. With any luck I'll see it in a couple of days from now.  :)

TD
Please keep your eyes open for my stolen 1973 Burgundyglo Rickenbacker 4001 Serial # MD1582. It was stolen in November of 2006. Reward for its return. Thx!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2013, 05:19:13 PM »
Good revue...

Crazily cheap on Amazon, even as a US product sold here...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Paul Boyer

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2013, 08:10:45 PM »
Review here:

http://www.bassplayer.com/article/the-rickenbacker-electric-bass-50-years-at-rocks-bottom/152062

Congrats, Paul!

Thanks, guys. Not really a review; that's the standard news release from the PR people at Hal Leonard. But I'm anxious to read REAL reviews from the bass mags, soon I hope.
Author

Thornton Davis

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2013, 05:14:25 AM »
My copy of the book arrived yesterday. I've only have had a quick opportunity to look through it, but looks great so far.

TD
Please keep your eyes open for my stolen 1973 Burgundyglo Rickenbacker 4001 Serial # MD1582. It was stolen in November of 2006. Reward for its return. Thx!

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2013, 12:11:04 PM »
But I'm anxious to read REAL reviews from the bass mags
They don't matter. They don't know about Ric basses more than you do. You have given this community a long-awaited and much-needed reference book. If you are content with your book, that's all that matters, really.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2013, 03:03:15 PM »
I got the book last week it's a great book, lot's of nice pictures.

Paul Boyer

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2013, 08:22:53 PM »
They don't matter. They don't know about Ric basses more than you do. You have given this community a long-awaited and much-needed reference book. If you are content with your book, that's all that matters, really.

Thanks, Ilan. I'd just like to know what other "professional journalist" think of my scope of content, layout, and the "field-guide" approach to a defined subject. I've not seen another guitar book like that and hope others see it as a good idea.
Author

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2013, 12:46:14 AM »
Never knew what your "profession" was until I read that "review" so the opinion of your peers is always an important factor... I'll be ordering up a copy once I have some clear time away from the "bathroom" and as your a little toooo far away to personalise I'll pm you for an insert...  ;)

It's got to sell, Paul; just looks too good not to... not going to make you rich, but will almost certainly net you more than mine when I get it finished... :mrgreen: