Author Topic: Good luck story  (Read 1253 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Good luck story
« on: October 22, 2010, 07:52:13 AM »
One of the guitarists I play with is just a super nice guy.  Great person, love being in a band with him.  He's an auditor for a large pawn shop chain, and I got this email from him this AM:

I made the deal of the century this week. I found a brand new, unsold 2006 Fender Twin Reverb amp in the store here in Casper, that has been stashed in the back room since they got it, because it supposedly didn't work. It was covered with sawdust and sheet rock dust from when the store was remodeled a couple of years ago. No one know why the (then) manager didn't return it; I guess it is really hard to get corporate to deal with things like that. They prefer to sell broken/damaged stuff "as-is" rather than send it back for replacement. Oh well...

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Vintage-Reissue-65-Twin-Reverb-Guitar-Amp?sku=480505

Anyway, when I first saw it and learned the story, last year, I felt sorry for this legendary amp, and made an off-hand offer of $350 as-is. I never expected them to take the offer seriously; cost is much more, but when I got up here Monday, the store manager said they accepted it and authorized selling it to me for $350! These things list for $1950, and street price is usually $1400-1500. And this one is even a 60th Anniversary model. Needless to say I bought it!

And it works.

All I have done to it is wipe the dust off. It has a tiny rip in the grill cloth, but otherwise is perfect. It even has the original foot switch and docs packet from when it was unboxed back in 2006! I fully expected it to be a dead unit when I paid for it, and who knows; it could have an intermittent problem I haven't run into in my limited use of it, but at this moment it works, and it sounds unbelievable!! Deep, rich, classic Fender clean tone, and 85 watts of it!!

It's nice when good things happen to nice people, and he deserves it.  Just thought I'd pass this good story along.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 09:21:56 AM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
Re: Good luck story
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 08:34:39 AM »
I remember seeing Johnny Winter And (pretty sure MSG)  when he used to play thru triple pyramid stacks of twins with his 3 pup bird.  always loved his sound ,  playing wasn't bad either. 

Great score for you bud.  every once in a while nice guys.....   but not usually. 

surf's up
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 02:05:33 PM »
What's that tune...? ;)

The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 03:23:01 PM »
Verry Coool! Glad to hear it.  8)

Hornisse

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 04:29:50 PM »
That is a great story.  Around 10 years ago I scored a Trace Elliot AH350 head and 115 cabinet for $99 from a pawn shop because they said it did not work.  I took it home and pressed the mute button.  :)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 05:36:14 AM »
Cool story.
Digresion our specialty!