Author Topic: Crack Kills  (Read 1562 times)

chromium

• View Profile
Crack Kills
« on: June 13, 2008, 08:12:09 AM »
I've see this type of crack on a number of basses - recently the Triumph that was up for auction last week, and the Bicentennial bird that is up currently.  I can't help but wonder what might cause this - blunt force strike to the front of a headstock?  or do things like this just pop up one day due to, I dunno, warpage, overzealous truss rod adjustment, or something?

How would one go about fixing that the right way?  or would stabalizing it by injecting glue or epoxy be good enough if you weren't worried so much about the resale value?

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
Re: Crack Kills
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 10:00:55 AM »
If it were mine, -
-I would drill several 1/16 or 3 /32 hole  along the crack and  about 1 1/2 - 2" beyond ,towards the body. -
-I would then inject small amt. of water into the holes a couple times.
-Then inject gorilla glue (it activates with water)or another similar glue, wipe off excess.
-Once it starts to foam a bit,Id place a thin pad on fret board and one on back of neck and gently clamp to close the void. not clamping too hard or firm because the glue expands as it cures.
-as the glue sets , remove excess from holes drilled as it comes out due to expansion.
-while still tacky , but done expanding, rub area where crack and holes are along the neck with mahogany saw dust( best from a  palm sander dust bag

note if the board is released from the neck  through to the other side( like this one looks to be ) drag a narrow strip of 220 sand paper through (grit facing neck not board)a couple times and see if it goes back into place ,with a clamp prior  to glueing. this may clean out the inside  of the crack a bit
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 10:22:41 AM »
That's a nasty crack, no matter how you look at it.  Based on the repair done already, there probably isn't anything you could, or would want to do.

Shadow's idea sounds good, but I'd prefer a clean break to work with rather than a split.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 05:15:48 PM »
Wow - thanks Shadow!  That an elegant approach, and I could probably pull something like that off - or go out trying  ;)

I'm not going for that bird, btw.  This is more for my own future reference - as these type of repair candidates seem to pop up quite a bit.