Gear Discussion Forums > Gibson Basses

Single-pickup Thunderbird II Custom Shop

<< < (3/8) > >>

Bionic-Joe:
Uh..All REAL Gibson Reverse Thunderbirds have 9 ply walnut and mahogany. You're thinking of the Gibson Firebirds or maybe some of the prototypes or early models that had 1 or 2 piece necks.

uwe:
Only the 1963 Thunderbirds had a full maho neck, they introduced walnut in 1964. The all maho neck really isn't a quality characteristic, it costs more to do the nine-ply process and it makes sense from a stability prerspective.

I have a faded black one-off from 2006 that - miraculously - has a full maho neck, I guess they couldn't be bothered to find a nine-ply piece of wood in that one singular case. Does it sound different to my other Birds? Not a bit.

Uwe

Bionic-Joe:
I think they only made 2 thunderbird basses in 1963, both Thunderbird II's, am I right? Say Uwe, do you have any original T bird Saddles that are unnotched??? Like the one on your purple Burst Thunderbird IV that used to be mine that you got from Kevin??

vates:
Thank you for these details. I always though the original 1963-1965 TBirds II were all-mahogany.

Hornisse:

--- Quote from: vates on November 25, 2010, 08:55:19 AM ---Thank you for these details. I always though the original 1963-1965 TBirds II were all-mahogany.

--- End quote ---

I always thought the Embassy necks were full mahogany until I saw the recent purchase by dadagoboi.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version