Author Topic: Who didn't see this coming? Kiss RRHOF conflict  (Read 8824 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Who didn't see this coming? Kiss RRHOF conflict
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2014, 05:30:06 AM »
That's a good interview and Stanley's observations on the RRHoF are lucid. He looks like he could get a post-Kiss job with a re-run of The Sopranos anytime. I don't mind the wig, but what all that cosmetic surgery did to his eyebrows is horrible. It looks like he has them continuously raised and when he actually does raise them they are just short of disappearing over his forehead!

Still, I like his speaking voice (the singing one is a little samey to me) and mellow NY accent. With Kiss - for whatever reason - he never "speaks" with the audience, but makes all his announcements in his singing voice (not that he is a great chatter on stage in any case). I always found that a little contrived. I can't think of any other frontman who does that. Like if he says hi to his kids at dinner he yells at them in that high rasp "HHHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!".  :mrgreen:
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2014, 06:19:56 AM »
Like if he says hi to his kids at dinner he yells at them in that high rasp "HHHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!".  :mrgreen:

"I KNOW THERE'S A LOTTA YOU PEOPLE OUT THERE WHO LIKE TO EAT...       PEAS AND CARROTS!"
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2014, 07:58:23 AM »
Paul Stanley's recent inteview on the topic is pretty good (video in the link).  I love how he ends it with "I'm Paul Stanley and the RnR Hall of Fame can blow me"   ;D

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6049065/paul-stanley-kiss-rock-roll-hall-fame-video-interview

I passed on a possible interview with KISS when I was working at The Illinois Entertainer.  It was pretty much the same thing.  He had been on a talk show just prior to the assignment, and said something to the effect that his last shopping trip was to buy and island, and then asked the host what the last thing was he had bought.  At that point, I told my editor that there wasn't a single thing I could ask that would make for a good interview.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2014, 08:07:44 AM »
"I KNOW THERE'S A LOTTA YOU PEOPLE OUT THERE WHO LIKE TO EAT...       PEAS AND CARROTS!"

PERFECT!!!  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2014, 10:21:19 AM »

To keep the thread current.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2014, 10:53:29 AM »
Thanks for posting, George, all four speeches were fine, Gene taking the lead shows what a pro he is and - dare I say - elder statesmen of rock he can be. Didn't know about Peter's breast cancer, happy he is still here. And Paul showed real kudos in his final unrepentant criticism of the RRHoF - so that is why he let the more diplomatic, less emotional Herr Simmons take the intro.

Also liked that they did not come in war paint.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2014, 03:38:06 AM »
Also liked that they did not come in war paint.

Simmons did wear his helmet though. Or is that his hair??

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2014, 10:28:21 AM »
All things considered, I thought each speech was nice and appropriately showcased each guy's personality.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2014, 08:22:01 AM »
Yeah, Simmons as the diplomat, Criss as the emotional one, Frehley as the prankster and Stanley as the angry young (old) man.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2014, 01:53:42 PM »

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2014, 06:30:31 PM »
OK, that was painful to watch.  "I took a water pill", and then can't remember much about the night?  Hmmmm....

It seemed like Ace wasn't yet kickstarted for the first 3 minutes.  I was going batty as he kept playing with his face, and the ear cleaning bit was nice.  After 3 minutes, the interviewer finally hit the vein, and Ace was off on a tear....

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2014, 08:31:51 AM »
My thought was when I watched the vid that I can sort of understand why Gene and Paul think he is a live show liability these days (and has been for a while). And I'm not talking about slimming pills (he seems to take rather casually, never mind the side effects) or a few extra pounds and all that (his skin was always bad with those acne scars), but just simply: "Would this man be focused enough to entertain a smaller arena of say, a couple of thousands of people, for two hours in a physically demanding stage show on a lengthy tour with four to five shows a week?"

I know, dear Kiss Army grunts, sacrilege ...

I saw Ace relatively recently in a small club and it was a good show, but of course it had nothing of the type of demands the Kiss live spectacle would put on him. There is a reason why Paul Stanley had to get a new hip.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2014, 08:41:06 AM »
Yeah, I definitely saw a guy that was having trouble staying focused for even a few minutes, and all but admitted to short term memory loss.  I can see that translating to a guy who wouldn't play, or remember, a set list consistently from night to night.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2014, 08:44:20 AM »
The man can barely speak. No way he can perform two hours straight

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2014, 07:14:47 AM »
Prior to the famous/infamous "Tomorrow" show appearance back in '79, Tom Snyder was told that Ace probably wouldn't say much. Fortunately for history's sake, Ace was running on "Cold Gin" (or whatever) that night, and a legend was born. Clean and sober, it's probably harder for him to channel his inner Henny Youngman.

If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter