Author Topic: It's Been a Hard Days Night ! Gig Report  (Read 4144 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
It's Been a Hard Days Night ! Gig Report
« on: October 26, 2008, 01:47:37 PM »
 Wow I'm bushed. Sat, Night we did the annual Halloween benefit for the Buffalo Woman and Children Hospital.  We had to get there early about 1:30 in the afternoon for a 6:00 start ! Originaley it was to be two bands us JOHNNY SMOKE and That 80's Hair Band who are big in Buffalo.  Each band was to play three alternating sets  and there was supposed to be two sound stages. When we get there there is one sound stage and a third act ! Well it took a while to get everything straightened out and feathers smoothed but after that is was clear sailing and everyone was cool. The opening act played a nice tight 45 min set and then it was our turn. before I say anything more I have to tell you guys that this place is HUGE it was designed to handle 3,200 people each hour ! The crowd last year was 3,500-4,000 this year the count was 5,000 people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All I can say is we had a blast and the people loved us. The 80's band had the last set of the night which was great cause the crowd was thinning and we got to mingle and bask. I was hang'n on the bass side of the stage when I hear the singer of the 80's band call me up to do a number  :o Joe their bassist is holding out his bass for me and I say oh no you stay here to help me out !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I fired up my rig and the band launched into  AC /DC You Shock Me All Night Long, I have never played the song but I had a good idea how it went, and the cued me for the arrangement.  The other bassist and I had a blast and the crowd went nuts.  Such funThe costumes were fantastic ! Check out the back line you can see my Marshall/Hiwatt rig tucked in with a bunch of Dummy Ampeg cabs that the 80's band brought along. The Trace Elliot rig next to mine is what the 80's band really uses !  
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: It's Been a Hard Days Night ! Gig Report
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 01:55:22 PM »
 Other funny things cops everywhere very tight security around the stage after the first set this trooper comes up to me and I'm think'n I'm in shit and hes says that's the best Zepplin I have ever heard ! Another funny bit is our guitarists cousin was instrumental in getting us the gig and he had PULL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! anytime there was not a band on stage Johnny Smoke music was being pumped over the PA  :o  More pics to follow.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 03:00:37 PM »

Scott, is the exterior shot of the venue? Or is that the hospital itself?
I can't imagine hauling dummy cabs to a show!!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 03:55:14 PM »
 Mark that is the tower of the Buffalo Central Terminal the structure sprawls out under it. It was the location of the gig. Dummy cabs? I don't see the point either but it floats their boat. My cabs are loaded  ;)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 04:28:20 PM »

I thought it looked familiar! That's the ex New York Central station, beautiful architecture - i think it's on the national register. TRAINS magazine did an extensive article about it some years back, what a great place to play music at, AWESOME!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 04:24:15 AM »
Amazing gig. What makes playing live worthwhile.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 04:53:08 AM »
 Here is some video of the first set.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 04:59:45 AM »
Oh yeah, nice job Scott.  Good video too!  Love that Zep!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 10:47:22 AM »
Tsk, tsk, tsk, that is not a Gibson you're playing, Herr Dasson!  :o

I understand that you're honoring JPJ here, but let's not get carried away! He played EB-1s too!  ;D

Nicely played and sung. That is a demanding number.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 10:52:13 AM »
Tsk, tsk, tsk, that is not a Gibson you're playing, Herr Dasson!  :o

I understand that you're honoring JPJ here, but let's not get carried away! He played EB-1s too!  ;D

Nicely played and sung. That is a demanding number.

Yes it broke my heart as well to see Scott turning "turncoat"!

Still a great job.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 11:03:28 AM »
  This is the first video I have seen of me playing a Fender and it does look weird :o It was very hard to have to work a Fender my regular rotation of stage basses. It is a 2008 MIA standard with Seymour Duncan hot for jazz pups I paid $890 new and it fits the Zep gig really well, lots of tone control and if you roll back the tone it can come close to sound like JPJs work with the EB1. It's no Gibson but I find myself liking this bass more and more. If you look closley in the vid there are two white Tbirds in the rack just waiting their turn. One is the model G NR bird I made a while ago, I have been tweaking it for months and it really performed well that night. Sadly This was the first gig I did not take my '69 NR to since I bought it in '78  :sad: I just can't risk taking it out any more. We did not do the 11/2 hour Zep set at this gig but peppered some through out the sets. To bad the sound is all guitar, I'm sure there is video with a more balanced audio.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 04:33:18 AM »
You are absolved. I like Jazz Basses myself. Much more elegant, dare I say feminine than those P Bass slabs of wood.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 05:59:41 AM »
 Here is a picture with something more suitable   The crowd 

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke

rockinrayduke

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2008, 05:22:14 PM »
I gotta find some leather pants to fit my fat ass. :mrgreen: Got half a cow handy?

Looks like a fun gig Scott, great pics!