Author Topic: Mudbucker article (fiendishly derailed by Uwe into unmotivated The Who attack!)  (Read 10207 times)

westen44

• View Profile
I just read the thing. Wot a douchbag.

As far as Gibson bass tone, I have very little time for this Free/Cream/Deep Purple- hippie sludge rock.  I think of a Gibson bass, I think of The Zombies, the Animals, or Sounds Incorporated. Even parts of Are You Experienced.
And this:

Rock and Roll!

What?  You don't like Free, Cream, and Deep Purple????  As for the "Are You Experienced" album, I don't know why I thought this, but I used to think the EB-2 was only used on one or two songs.  However, last year I checked the recording dates.  The Gibson EB-2 was definitely used on 8 out of the 12 songs on the original American version of AYE.  "I Don't Live Today" could have been recorded with a Fender or Gibson.  The only songs that were definitely played with a Fender were Manic Depression, Are You Experienced, and May This Be Love.  So, yes, when I think of Gibson bass tone I also keep the AYE album in mind.  I think for what they were doing the EB-2 worked out well.  The Fender did sound good on Manic Depression and okay on May This Be Love.  The Fender bass on Are You Experienced (the song) was almost lost in the mix compared to all the other songs, though.   I suspect 99% of their attention on that song was focused on Hendrix's guitar (as it should have been.)
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

nofi

• View Profile
i don't listen to classic or any other kind of rock any more, save the odd pink floyd tune. i'm worn out on the whole deal. i am always looking for new music but it ain't rocked and rolled. :bored:
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
I can listen to both old and new. Kings of Leon in one moment, Bloodrock (remember them?) in the next. Gary Numan followed by Rick Wakeman, Status Quo followed by Porcupine Tree/Steve Wilson. At all times there has been good and not so great music.

And then of course my cult stuff like the criminally underrated Heavy Metal Kids that walked the line between pomp, punk and glam. I love Gary Holton's cockney sneer.

Oh, and I'm waiting for the 17 CD BÖC Box of Remasters to reach my house!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
^
I agree.  Old and new is the way to go.  Otherwise, it would be unbalanced for me at least.  There are people who just listen to old, and those who just listen to new, but I don't see how they do it.  I especially don't see how anyone could only listen to old music.  I usually find it hard to even watch a good movie twice. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 09:08:31 AM by westen »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
ha! bloodrock - d.o.a.
Louder bass!.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Stablemates to GFR - Terry Knight managed them at the same time - the double live was pretty good...

This track will certainly give you a clear indication of the sound and their likeness to GFR... probably why I liked them as much... Mel Schacher bass sound pretty much replicated on this...

Uwe... BOC box set...?

Really really sorry to mention this but the HMK's supported Alice Cooper's WTMN tour in '75... saw that one too... :sad: :o
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Poor Terry, he met a sad end. Stabbed to death by his daughter's boyfriend while defending his daughter.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
... trying to do the right thing, by all accounts...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Stablemates to GFR - Terry Knight managed them at the same time - the double live was pretty good...

My first pro band did "Lucky In The Morning" as our closing song.  Thanks for the memory!
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
I had the first Heavy Metal Kids album.  I recall it being OK, but nothing spectacular.   I did like these guys a decade later, though (Jim Cregan produced, so the influence is pretty obvious).  Hey...lookie that bass!

And I'm a lot like others here...all over the musical map, both old and new.

Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty