Author Topic: What does an old EB-3 and a single-room dwelling have in common?  (Read 1475 times)

chromium

• View Profile
What does an old EB-3 and a single-room dwelling have in common?
« on: December 22, 2008, 12:59:57 AM »
 ???

Finnish prog-rock, of course!

Meet Wigwam:

Well.. some of you might have heard of 'em, but they're new to me.  My synth-geek alter ego stumbled across this, as the song features a solo on a keyboard that I've been GASing for.  But lo-and-behold... what's that laying down sub-sonic bass tones?  An early EB-3 ('63-ish? - nickel cover mud, with early painted bridge pickup ring)!

There's a good shot of it around 2:00, and the song actually starts to gain some momentum there.  Man it sure starts out shaky, though.  I can't say I care much for the vocalist, but I haven't had a chance yet to listen to any of their other stuff to give him a fair shake.  Stick with it - there's a thoughtful and redeeming guitar solo (did I just say that?  :) ) at 4:50, and some more footage of the bass around 8:00.

Note the missing 17th fret!  Wonder what happened there?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 01:23:15 AM by chromium »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: What does an old EB-3 and a single-room dwelling have in common?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 05:21:55 AM »
Very nice, though I find nothing prog about it - melodic rock that is. I've heard of Wigwam before, knew that their music has been called "introspective" which fits I think. I actually like the singer's voice, not a screecher. Guitarist is very tasteful - should have been a bass player! Not so impressed about the bass player though, my old bass teacher would have slapped him for moving around the neck with his index to play things he could very well play in one position if he used those other fingers (and strings other than E and A) too!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 06:12:59 AM »
That's a nice soft song I like. I agree with Uwe, solid guitarwork.

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 10:49:55 AM »
The singers name ought to be Jim Pembroke, if my memory's intact. I think he was an American deserter from the Vietnam war, but I'm not sure.
Quite a few of the Finish rock musicians has graduated from the Sibelius Academy.
Concerning the bassist I must say that I sometimes prefer to slide on the E-string instead of moving to the A- or D-string, the way the Wigman bassist obviously also does. I like the sound I get that way, a touch of a race car in high performance in a dead mans curve. Like in an ordinary 12-bar blues shuffle in A, where you're just pumping away on the ground tone: Slide it up to the 10th fret, intensify the attack. Move back to the 5th fret. I think it really sounds pushing.
Sometimes it feels like I would do with just three strings. Maybe in the setting of B, E, A.
Reactions? Discuss in small groups! Give your opinions before the sun rises tomorrow! Class dismiss!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 01:16:47 PM »
"I think he was an American deserter from the Vietnam war, but I'm not sure."

Not many US tours then, but their "One Magic Night in Hanoi"-live album is memorable.

;D
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 02:23:35 PM »
Sorry, folks! I'm wrong. Total and absolute! Jim Pembroke, of Wigwam fame, is not a deserter from US! I checked with the Net, and Pembroke's from UK, though still living in Finland where he's still the singer in the tent band. Sorry for giving the wrong information. Won't happen again. I swear... well, not to often, at least. But, to be on the safe, side: Always check. And doublecheck!

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 02:46:30 PM »
I read that Pembroke enjoys dessert and Vietnamese strippers - sometimes together... (Wikipedia, 2008)

rockinrayduke

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 06:11:24 PM »
I did 3 tours of Finland, I miss it.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 06:24:49 PM »
I read that Pembroke enjoys dessert and Vietnamese strippers - sometimes together... (Wikipedia, 2008)

Is there something wrong with that?

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 06:39:48 AM »
I find them a bit Camel like. I really like the old analog synth sounds. Nice band.

I used to own a Pembroke Welsh Corgi