Author Topic: Good price  (Read 2307 times)

eb2

• View Profile
Good price
« on: December 07, 2008, 12:01:32 PM »
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Good price
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 11:02:47 PM »
The asking price does seem to be lower than what I've seen in the past couple of years. Don't know if $5,000 is ever reasonable.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 12:13:39 PM »
It really looks beat up

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 12:28:13 PM »
I don't see that really, although granted it is not mint.  It has the original parts, finish, and case.  It doesn't look cracked.  Not mint, but dings and checking don't classify it as beat.  Not Relic status by any stretch.  I still think a 53-58 EB1 for $5gs or less in comparisson to the asking and selling prices over the last few years is good.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 01:49:44 PM »
Looks like tons of little lacquer checks. Some guys love that. I don't. Still, it's just excessive lacquer aging. I wouldn't call it beat up either.

barend

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 05:23:26 PM »
That is probably the only Gibson bass that is ugly in my opinion. I don't understand why these basses are that expensive and why someone is willing to pay that money for that bass. I would really prefer a Hofner viola bass or even the Epiphone viola bass which looks really good (and sounds good too).

Can someone explain the charm of this bass to me? I don't see it.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 06:15:42 PM »
Age, rarity, the fact that it was the first violin bass, and it has the Gibson name on the headstock.

Rarity alone makes it worth a lot even if you don't like the looks or tone. Old Hofners are expensive enough, but they're a dime a dozen compared to the 1953-58 EB-1. Plus a lot of old Hofners were user-built from parts kits.

Rocker949

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 07:56:03 PM »
The EB-1 appeals to me very much.  I suspect people who aren't interested in them are maybe turned off by the old fashioned look.  Personally, though, there are few vintage basses that would interest me more than a Gibson EB-1.  Obviously, the fact that Jack Bruce played one at the Cream reunion concerts only added to the mystique.  If Gibson reissued the EB-1 for around $2,000 or so, I'd definitely buy one.   

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 05:35:59 AM »
I don't like the violin look either, but a fifties EB-1 sounds like no other Gibson bass with that hysterically overwound single coil (the late sixties reissue with the mudbucker included). The bass belies its un-rock looks, it is one fat chunk of maho with a very raw and assertive sound, pummeling mids that cut through, not too much, but certainly sufficient bass and moderate (but audible) treble. It is really fun to play and you can "take no prisoners" with it.

A Höfner 500/1 (a bass I like and which offers a one-of-a-kind, but totally different  sound too) sounds and feels nothing like an EB-1. Where the Höfner goes "plonk!", the EB-1 goes "plrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ..." and if truth be told then the fine German product handles like a flimsy toy in comparison to the yank maho stalwart.

Uwe
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 05:41:05 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

EvilLordJuju

• Mud is its own reward
    • View Profile
    • Fly Guitars
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 05:37:57 AM »
That is probably the only Gibson bass that is ugly

There were some pretty serious sins in the 1980s...

Ok, Jules, why not be frank about it? What you mean is probably this, right?   :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v615/uwehornung/DCP_2194.jpg

Old EBs are more about collecting/investing. 5K used to be a lot for one of these, but it is looking more reasonable now, though still hardly a deal!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 05:53:28 AM by uwe »

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 05:46:16 AM »
If I wanted a violin-shaped bass I would buy a new Chinese Hòfner. Great fun for little money.

barend

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 05:57:52 AM »
There were some pretty serious sins in the 1980s...

Ok, Jules, why not be frank about it? What you mean is probably this, right?   :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v615/uwehornung/DCP_2194.jpg

ok, you got me...these are even more ugly!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 06:42:01 AM »
Well, since I've had 2 of the Epi EB-1 RI's, I guess I'll chime in.  My first one was great, but it had a lot to do with the pickup I dropped into it (custom Lollar pickup).   The appeal is pretty much the look of the bass, without the hollow body.  I happen to think they're pretty cool, and would take one over the EB-0 anyday.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 07:56:24 AM »
To somewhat parrot Uwe, comparing a 50s EB1 to a Hofner, the 70s reissue, the Epi copy of this, the Epi/Rogue/Turser/Chinese copy of a Hofner or even a Klira, is beyond comparing Apples to Oranges.  Its like comparing apples to a written description of an apple.  The shape is probably the least relevant attribute when approaching these as a bass.  The 50s pup is tonally not much like later humbuckers although it packs similar power.  The body is a MASSIVE chunk of mahogany as is the neck, where the profile is unlike any other Gibson bass with the exception of the very first EB-2s.  They are, like Faberge eggs, and amazing piece of work that only a few have ever had the pleasure of messing with.  If run of the mill EB2Ds could start trading hands over the $2k mark, that is pretty good for a non broken or cobbed real 50s one.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 08:25:48 AM »
where the profile is unlike any other Gibson bass with the exception of the very first EB-2s.

You mean they are like baseball bats?