Author Topic: Gibson Les Paul Lo-Z pickups by EMG?  (Read 9557 times)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
Re: Gibson Les Paul Lo-Z pickups by EMG?
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2010, 12:43:20 AM »
Really interesting read. Thanks
Digresion our specialty!

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2010, 01:18:22 AM »
Very interesting. What I've always heard is EMG's were low impedance but appearently that were not facts, just an assumption. Though they are low impedance output right? Thanks for the enlightenment E.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 02:26:52 AM »
Very interesting indeed.

When you google for low impedance bass pickups the name of Lancaster comes up too.
They seem to be real low impedance but are attached to a printboard with pre-amp and what have you...

I would love to find a pickup builder that can make exact copies of those Gibson Lo-Z pickups.
So far none of all the pickup builders that I've asked can do it.
They all use standard components. But the Gibson Lo-Z have extraordinarily big bobbins and very thick wire.

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2010, 03:01:25 AM »
It would be more interesting if there were lo-z pups in more standard forms (guitar humbucker, soapbars, TB+ ) so they could be used in a variety of basses.

Those Lancaster pups are 100 ohms, I think Gibson lo-z are even lower, but I'm not so sure.

In this pickup makers forum there is a thread with some measurements on the Gibson lo-z pickup and some picks too.

edit: found the thread, they say the Gibson lo-z are 9,5 ohms only! Talkin about LOW impedance!

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t3737/#post29034
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 03:08:34 AM by exiledarchangel »
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2010, 03:37:56 AM »
Very interesting. What I've always heard is EMG's were low impedance but appearently that were not facts, just an assumption. Though they are low impedance output right? Thanks for the enlightenment E.

If you are talking what gets to the pots, they are high impedance, otherwise an external 'transformer' would be necessary to get EMGs to work with a typical bass amp input stage. EMG preamps are tone circuits.  Without the battery the pups around 4.5k ohms. This is not low impedance...it is around 500 to 1000 times the impedance of a Les Paul Lo Z pup if I'm reading the literature correctly.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2010, 03:52:55 AM »
It would be more interesting if there were lo-z pups in more standard forms (guitar humbucker, soapbars, TB+ ) so they could be used in a variety of basses.

I wouldn't mind that shape as long as the characteristics are identical.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2010, 04:15:22 AM »
Very interesting indeed.

When you google for low impedance bass pickups the name of Lancaster comes up too.
They seem to be real low impedance but are attached to a printboard with pre-amp and what have you...

I would love to find a pickup builder that can make exact copies of those Gibson Lo-Z pickups.
So far none of all the pickup builders that I've asked can do it.
They all use standard components. But the Gibson Lo-Z have extraordinarily big bobbins and very thick wire.

Maybe this will get you a little further, all you need is the thock wire then?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Gibson-NOS-Parts-LP-Recording-Bass-Pickup-Kit-/250693892904?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3a5e853b28

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2010, 04:48:56 AM »
Yeah but they only have a few of them. Not enough to make a whole series of them.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2010, 05:55:34 AM »
http://music-electronics-forum.com/t3737/#post29034

Les Paul Signature pickups are low impedance, super humbuckers, both the guitar & the bass use the same pickup.
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2010, 06:22:37 AM »
Les Paul Signature pickups are low impedance, super humbuckers, both the guitar & the bass use the same pickup.

Yes but they don't have the three coiltaps.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2010, 08:25:42 AM »
I wouldn't mind that shape as long as the characteristics are identical.

That's not possible. In this case, you have such thick wire that a conventional shape wouldn't hold near as much wire. And even if you could figure out a way around that, the coil shape affects the sound in any pickup.

Has anyone talked to David Schwab? From the music electronics forum thread linked earlier, he at least has some experience with the LP low-z pickups. Maybe he would be willing to try if there's interest.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2010, 06:16:01 PM »
I wonder if anybody has ever tried a low impedance mudbucker... :o  A stacked humbucker with the same gage wire as the Les Paul Bass, only sideways.  :-\  The mudbucker cover is big enough to cover a massive coil, and it can be made adaptable to go in any of the EB series basses.... It may not sound exactly the same, but it might be interesting! There may even be enough room for the coils to be positioned normaly, if the shape is slighly altered.
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2010, 11:56:37 PM »
I wonder if anybody has ever tried a low impedance mudbucker... :o  A stacked humbucker with the same gage wire as the Les Paul Bass, only sideways.  :-\  The mudbucker cover is big enough to cover a massive coil, and it can be made adaptable to go in any of the EB series basses.... It may not sound exactly the same, but it might be interesting! There may even be enough room for the coils to be positioned normaly, if the shape is slighly altered.

I was thinking about the same thing! A lo-z sidewinder would be interesting, even if it would not be a mudbucker, it would probably sound very clean and kinda hi-fi-ish. A cleanbucker!
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2010, 11:40:38 PM »
By the way, I sent EMG an email.

Here's their answer:

"Rob,

Sorry for the delay, I wanted to get with Rob Turner to verify.

The short version of what I got from him was "No."  He had nothing to do with those pickups!  He says that they were all Les Paul -- his design and concept, EMG was not involved in the production in any way."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2010, 07:21:06 AM »
Good work, Rob. Let's hope the misinformation on the other site doesn't spread.