Author Topic: New Gig!  (Read 2428 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
New Gig!
« on: May 25, 2014, 12:47:12 PM »
  Well I started gigging with a local band called Knight Patrol. They are a talented ( their vocals are amazing!) bunch of guys late teens early 20's. For months they were advertising for a bass player 18-22, then the age jumped to 30. When they hit 35 I sent them video (I'll be 55 in June) They immediately got bake to me turns out they are being mentored by a good friend who gave me a big thumbs up. I  had one rehearsal with the band and now have two gigs under my belt. On the first gig Micheal Marconi ex Alice Cooper guitarist got up and did two Alice songs with us pretty cool! Right now they are still using the old (young) bass player for some gigs, he goes to college in the fall. Once I'm up to speed on the full show they will cut him lose. They have already asked me to do their studio work :) As for being a full member of the band I told them from the start I'll do it as long as they like but I can understand if they want a young guy. Basically they said if the chemistry is good I'm in. So far it has been great really on and off stage. I don't feel like I'm talking to a bunch of young guys, just musicians and I think they feel the same way, not awkward at all.  We had a blast onstage last night. I'm looking forward to the next gig. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Knight-Patrol/137422269658854
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

patman

• View Profile
Re: New Gig!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 01:07:57 PM »
That's great news, Scott...

Hope it stays great...

Pat

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 01:16:02 PM »
Thanks! I was with my last band for 13 years. After the liberating euphoria of quitting I suffered through  a severe three month depression, I lost a big part of my identity. To be back on stage is like coming home.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 02:39:57 PM »
It's weird, but being a musician is a big part of ones identity...

If I have a string of gigs that are a hassle, sometimes I think of retiring.  I could retire. Some people can't.  I have the alternate banjo/country music fetish, also, that is fine just in the backyard alone, so I could retire from rock n roll...

Over the years, the people call me Patman.  It's part of who I am...it's not just something I do.

Other than playing music, I'm pretty much a recluse, so playing music gets me out and about, also.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 02:46:18 PM by patman »

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 02:42:28 PM »
Sweet. Congrats. I bet the fans are cute.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 08:33:38 PM »
Good for you. You have the right attitude, just take it as it comes. Who knows, it might work out for you long term.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 08:56:35 PM »

Scott,

I think it's great! - Something new and fun, go for it!

I faced a similar situation this past October, our guitarist of the past 10 years decided to retire from playing - we had to have several band meetings to discuss our future and options.
We decide to audition and after a very disappointing first tryout our second choice proved to be a great fit for us. We were quite fortunate and have been rehearsing like mad, played our first shows last weekend at our fave bar in Pt. Angeles, Wa to sold out crowds each night - total craziness, it's very good to be playing again!   ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 11:16:23 PM »
Congrats Scott!
Nice to see you're having fun again on stage.

georgestrings

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 04:40:19 AM »
Congrats, Scott - I hope things work out for you...

- georgestrings

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 11:13:36 PM »
Excellent news...

Marconi played on the LP the original ACG recorded called Battle Axe...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 08:32:49 AM »
billion dollar babies was the bands name. one lp that was not very good.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 08:51:52 AM »
I bet the fans are cute.

:mrgreen: ;) 8)

Congrats Scott, have a good time!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 06:36:03 PM »
Sweet. Congrats. I bet the fans are cute.
That they are!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 06:06:26 AM »
I know exactly how you feel/felt, Scott. Been in the laborious process of looking for a new band since last fall. Now have a promising singer and a guitarist - still looking for keyboarder and drummer.

Best of luck with "the kids". Heed your daughter's advice - "no double denim" - and everything will work out.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2014, 07:07:00 AM »
 But Uwe the "double denim" fashion rule only applies to "normal" people. Musicians are exempt( and rightfully so)   ;D