Author Topic: Spirit sues Led Zep  (Read 5308 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Spirit sues Led Zep
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2014, 04:25:28 AM »
He's ripped off what I like for as long as I can remember - he started with Right Said Fred and Eminem, moved on to Korn and Judas Priest, then Guns & Roses, Mötley Crüe, that whole LA Glam scene before discovering classic Blues and Bluegrass. So there he is now in an urban hub like Berlin writing archaic Blues. And I sometimes say to him in jest, you know, you're 19, white, live in Berlin and this is 2014 - not the Mississippi Delta in 1925 - you're not even sight-impaired, "Blind Leon Hornung"!

Forgive me, but I sometimes wonder - though he is gifted and an intuitive musician - about the professional aspects of a young Blues musician in modern day Berlin. He's on such a retro trip, he's even bought himself a record player and flea market old Blues records!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 04:41:01 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2014, 09:35:27 AM »
I now have the 2-CD-Deluxe Versions of I, II and III before me. It just shows how mild I am getting with age as I never had those albums on vinyl - come to think of it I never had any Zep album on vinyl! Uwe buys Led Zep, mark it in your calendars.

To give credit where credit's due, those Deluxe versions in their (sturdy) mock double album CD sleeves look lovingly done from the outside. They even restored that fancy picture wheel contraption on III. I'll report on how they sound. For Zep nerds those companion CDs with the rare stuff must be a stairway to you know where.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2014, 10:09:25 AM »
Hey maybe after your son exhausts his passion for early blues he'll make the logical progression to classic rock and Zep and start playing a Les Paul, or maybe he'll rekindle his rebellious streak and start playing Slayer on his banjo like this guy!

Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2014, 10:33:56 AM »
He has the Paula already!!! Except in his Korn phase, he was never into brutal metal and not ultrafast stuff either. And he likes Zep better than Purple, Page better than Blackmore. I'm a failed parent in that regard!  :-\

But what he certainly needs together with that banjo is a pair of dungarees. You can't seriously play banjo without them.

PS: I love that vid. Banjo playing minor and chromatic scales sounds unsettling.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 10:40:05 AM by uwe »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2014, 02:13:00 PM »
He has the Paula already!!! Except in his Korn phase, he was never into brutal metal and not ultrafast stuff either. And he likes Zep better than Purple, Page better than Blackmore. I'm a failed parent in that regard!  :-\

But what he certainly needs together with that banjo is a pair of dungarees. You can't seriously play banjo without them.

PS: I love that vid. Banjo playing minor and chromatic scales sounds unsettling.

Not jeans for banjo, gotta have overalls.  Get the real thing, get 'em from Pennys or Sears: http://www.sears.com/search=big%20mac%20mens%20bib%20overalls?catalogId=12605&storeId=10153&levels=Tools_Workwear+%26+Work+Boots_Mens+Workwear&autoRedirect=true&viewItems=50&redirectType=CAT_REC_PRED&prop17=big%20mac%20mens%20bib%20overalls

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2014, 02:16:10 PM »
Oh, I don't know...I think the preacher's coat and top hat are a nice touch.

Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2014, 02:49:24 PM »
I meant overalls with "dungarees", I thought overalls were boiler suits ... (we call boiler suits overalls in Germany and overalls "Latzhosen" - literally "bib trousers") ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2014, 02:51:59 PM »

The Led Zep title of this thread keeps me away - and this is what you people do?!

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2014, 03:16:48 PM »
Well, communication breakdown, it's always the same ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2014, 03:59:52 PM »
I never bothered to buy a Led Zep album, either, not on vinyl or CD.  I was just never all that much of a fan.  Besides, if you lived in the U.S. when they were popular, all you had to do was turn on the radio and they were on.  I can even remember once going to my grandfather's house and even he had Led Zep playing on his radio. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2014, 04:24:46 PM »
Everybody seemed to like II amd IV, I liked the "strange ones" best, Houses of the Holy and Physical Graffiti. And even that last one "In through the Outdoor" had some nice tunes.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2014, 04:34:41 PM »
Even the debut album was quite impressive, though.  Actually, I don't completely understand why I didn't get into their music more.  Plenty of other people made up for my lack of participation I suppose. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2014, 04:39:16 PM »
I started on drums before bass and Bonham was my guy. The first CDs I saved up to buy was the Zep box set with the crop circles on it. Lots of good music and a bunch of stuff that wasn't in regular radio rotation. It's impossible not to associate the band with my adolescence.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2014, 04:41:51 PM »
Everybody seemed to like II amd IV, I liked the "strange ones" best, Houses of the Holy and Physical Graffiti. And even that last one "In through the Outdoor" had some nice tunes.

Although it was misunderstood at the time, III contained what is still my favorite Zep song.

And this one later on always catches my ear - just for you, Uwe.

Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2014, 04:55:28 PM »
I started on drums before bass and Bonham was my guy. The first CDs I saved up to buy was the Zep box set with the crop circles on it. Lots of good music and a bunch of stuff that wasn't in regular radio rotation. It's impossible not to associate the band with my adolescence.

I'm sure I missed out by mostly just listening to them on the radio.  I did borrow Led Zep albums from friends from time to time, though.  I still listened to them a lot, but probably not as much as most. 

--Blaise Pascal