Author Topic: Olympics Closing Ceremony basses  (Read 13924 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Olympics Closing Ceremony basses
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2012, 03:31:30 PM »
Tom, you mean Geri...? ... and Westen, she definitely aimed at their dads...

The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2012, 03:50:10 PM »
^
Yikes, if she aimed at their dads, I'm quite sure she had no problem finding her target. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2012, 06:04:05 PM »
There was a #TheLostSpiceGirls on Twitter at the time. Some of the names suggested were Botox Spice, Talented Spice, Silicon-Free Spice and Able To Sing A Note Spice.  ;D  Any would be more talented than the real Spice Girls,

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2012, 08:16:21 AM »
Despite having questionable talent, it does seem to me that the Spice Girls may have had some genuine sex appeal.  This is unlike, for example, Britney Spears who has neither talent nor sex appeal.  I saw a picture of her several days ago which showed what she looked like when she shaved her head.  I'm still grossed out by that and have found it hard to forget. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2012, 08:19:31 AM »
There are enough photos of Britney in her train wreck/trailer trash/dumpster phase to have permanently turned me off.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2012, 08:51:12 AM »
Yeah, I never understood what was appealing about Britney. Horrible singer too, yet now I see promos of her as a judge of singers on Simon Cowell's show.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2012, 12:50:58 PM »
I think they'll find out soon enough that getting her as a judge was a big mistake.  Of course, I don't plan to be watching anyway, just as most people with a taste in music won't be watching. 

--Blaise Pascal

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2012, 03:00:40 PM »
Re the spice girls names - Geri Halliwell ran into some controvesy over her age at one point being somewhat er... enhanced... so the gutter press started to call her Old Spice... she has persistently twisted the truth about her age but I believe she passed the big four-oh last month...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2012, 08:02:01 AM »
I think they'll find out soon enough that getting her as a judge was a big mistake.  Of course, I don't plan to be watching anyway, just as most people with a taste in music won't be watching. 

I like to think I have "a taste in music" and this is one of the only shows I watch regularly. What can I say? I love a good train wreck! Plus it's fun playing armchair A&R guy/producer. I do start to lose interest as they wind down to the final 4-5 contestants. The show is probably toast at this point anyway. Tyler was great, but with him gone, and last man standing, Randy Jackson (great bass player BTW) leaving, they don't have much going on in the judging department.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2012, 08:43:43 AM »
I like to think I have "a taste in music" and this is one of the only shows I watch regularly. What can I say? I love a good train wreck! Plus it's fun playing armchair A&R guy/producer. I do start to lose interest as they wind down to the final 4-5 contestants. The show is probably toast at this point anyway. Tyler was great, but with him gone, and last man standing, Randy Jackson (great bass player BTW) leaving, they don't have much going on in the judging department.

I was talking about the X-Factor which is the one with Britney Spears and Simon Cowell.  I did watch American Idol from time to time, but that was only to see what Steven Tyler might be up to.  The way things stand now, I don't plan to be watching either one and have never much liked the idea of these kinds of shows anyway.  Most likely, though, if someone had the patience to sit through it, there might even be something worthwhile to watch from time to time.  Seriously, though, like I said, I wouldn't ever watch a show with Britney Spears in it.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2012, 09:20:38 AM »
I haven't watched any of them. Based on what I've seen from commercials, the most obnoxious one has to be The Voice. It appears that they value the ability to scream, screech and caterwaul at the highest possible volume - that's what they consider talent. It's painful to even sit through a promo.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2012, 09:37:51 AM »
I haven't watched any of them. Based on what I've seen from commercials, the most obnoxious one has to be The Voice. It appears that they value the ability to scream, screech and caterwaul at the highest possible volume - that's what they consider talent. It's painful to even sit through a promo.

I have to agree about The Voice.  I think I did watch about 30 minutes of it once.  Besides the fact that I'm not fond of Christina Aguilera, there is that guy from Maroon 5.  I think his name is Adam Levine.  I could be wrong, but I get the impression he thinks he is God's gift to women.  Even if you give him the benefit of the doubt, there are plenty of women out there excited about other men besides him.  He just seems to be so full of himself.  I have a close (female) friend who seems to despise him mostly for the reasons I've just mentioned. 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 09:55:30 AM by westen44 »

--Blaise Pascal

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2012, 03:00:09 PM »
Like Tom, we enjoy the train-wrecks, but...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2012, 08:23:11 AM »
Ah, yeah... X Factor. That stuff IS hard to stomach! And the Voice... just hasn't managed to grab my attention. The judges are their own train wreck.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2012, 09:18:35 AM »
One of my favorite web comics is Scott Meyer's Basic Instructions. Here's a recent strip he did lampooning  a certain Idol panelist.  :)

http://basicinstructions.net/basic-instructions/2012/8/14/how-to-engage-in-recreational-cruelty.html