Author Topic: Olympics Closing Ceremony basses  (Read 13923 times)

PhilT

• View Profile
Olympics Closing Ceremony basses
« on: August 13, 2012, 08:54:09 AM »
Never seen one of these on a stage (the bass, not Liam Gallagher)

And this with The Who. Looks like a Jaguar body, but the pickup/pickguard combination isn't right. Any ideas?

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: Olympics Closing Ceremony basses
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 03:14:53 PM »
The first pic is a Harmony. Same as the second, later one of Ronnie Lane. Could be Ronnnie's bass, because a friend of mine sold it some years ago...

Second one looks like a Jag bass with a MM-humbucker and a dog-eared P90? The Who used Morgan Nicholls on bass. He's a hired gun, used by Lily Allen and Muse. In Muse he plays keys and he played bass when Chris broke his wrist.
It could be a CS one off from Pino? Pino has a CS Fender with Thunderbird pickups, which is a bit of a secret at Fender's.

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 04:22:34 AM »
The first pic is a Harmony. Same as the second, later one of Ronnie Lane. Could be Ronnnie's bass, because a friend of mine sold it some years ago...

Really? I thought it was a Coronado, hence putting it in the Fender section. But now I've Googled up some Harmony pictures, I'm sure you're right.

The Pawn Shop Reverse Jag has a big MM humbucker, so the Jag could be using that. We need to infiltrate some bass players into the TV camera crew fraternity, lots of time on Townsend's Strat, which is of no interest whatsoever.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 06:04:58 AM »
why oh why to townsend and daltry persist. one resembles an old freddy krueger and the other could be your grandmother. there hasn't been 'a who' in a long time. i guess there IS nothing like showbiz... :sad:
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 06:28:42 AM »
Perhaps they enjoy playing their songs to folks who like them. I know I do.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 06:34:58 AM »
why oh why to townsend and daltry persist. one resembles an old freddy krueger and the other could be your grandmother. there hasn't been 'a who' in a long time. i guess there IS nothing like showbiz... :sad:
It's their right to carry on whether we like it or not. I'm sure playing to 10's of thousand beats sitting at home waiting to die. God bless 'em.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 06:46:08 AM »
they can do whatever the hell they like, no skin off my ass. i don't have to like it. you folks can think what you will. odd that i got responses from the guys i thought i might.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 06:57:08 AM »
General view over here is The Who rescued the show from a mass of generally mediocre performances. Though Townsend looks increasingly self conscious doing the windmills.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 07:26:55 AM »
Perhaps they enjoy playing their songs to folks who like them. I know I do.

That captures my thought. Simple.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 08:55:03 AM »
Hard to fault anyone for playing to please their fans, even if they are a shadow of what they used be. In some cases I wonder why fans still want to see a band that doesn't sound much like it used to or doesn't have any original members, but even then, that's the fans' decision.

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 11:45:55 AM »
General view over here is The Who rescued the show from a mass of generally mediocre performances. Though Townsend looks increasingly self conscious doing the windmills.

Well his shoulders aren't 26 any longer  :P

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 12:55:23 PM »
My rule is...as long as people still come out and pay their hard-earned money to see the CincyRockers, I'll come out and play. I go from table to table every night and thank people for coming out ('cause when they stop, we're done). I'm 55.

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 09:09:54 AM »
Hard to fault anyone for playing to please their fans, even if they are a shadow of what they used be. In some cases I wonder why fans still want to see a band that doesn't sound much like it used to or doesn't have any original members, but even then, that's the fans' decision.

Depends who's missing and who the replacement is, and what compromises you're prepared to put up with.

In The Who Zac Starkey isn't a bad replacement for Moon, and there's some logic for choosing him. The problem, for people who care at all, is in the bass department.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 11:12:42 AM »
Depends who's missing and who the replacement is, and what compromises you're prepared to put up with.

In The Who Zac Starkey isn't a bad replacement for Moon, and there's some logic for choosing him. The problem, for people who care at all, is in the bass department.

Agreed. OTOH their fans still pay to see them as-is.

Anyway, here's what I thought was the best suggestion: https://twitter.com/badbanana/status/234756090900926464  :)  I would have watched that!

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 08:22:35 AM »
"The Two" are within their rights to keep using the name "the Who" if they want. After all, the only things missing are the rhythm section and Daltrey's voice.  :P