Author Topic: 50th. Anniversary CAR Jazz  (Read 20374 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Re: 50th. Anniversary CAR Jazz
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2012, 04:27:32 AM »
I can see both points of view, honestly.
I think the difference between 100% original assembled in the factory and 100% original parts comes into play when the object (guitar, bass, motorcycle, etc) is more of a hand-made item.

For instance, lots of guys need original fenders for their Indian Chiefs because the originals are missing. That's fine, they are out there. The problem is that they will get ORIGINAL fenders, prep and paint them and then they won't fit on the ORIGINAL motorcycle. That's because the fenders were handfitted at the Indian factory and the holes hand drilled in the fenders to match the fittings on the frame, which may be in slightly different locations on each bike.

On an assembly line motorcycle (or anything else) the parts are totally interchangeable and it seems less important whether it was built at the factory or at a factory dealer.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2012, 04:33:43 AM »
Yeah, I see the points you both make.  I'm not going to worry about it since I plan on keeping and playing it.  I got lots of more important stuff to worry about!!!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2012, 08:44:14 AM »
It would be cool if they let you keep all of the parts!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 04, 2012, 11:21:16 AM »
It would be cool if they let you keep all of the parts!

LOL, good one!  Actually, the old body and neck will go back to Fender as proof of the flaws.

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #79 on: April 04, 2012, 11:51:10 AM »
Maybe they could give you some kind of certificate acknowledging that the work was done? Doesn't seem too far-fetched, given how far-fetched the situation is!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 04, 2012, 01:35:04 PM »
Maybe they could give you some kind of certificate acknowledging that the work was done? Doesn't seem too far-fetched, given how far-fetched the situation is!

Not a bad idea.  Maybe I could get a letter from them.  Frankly, I don't see it as an issue since it's all original Fender parts done under Fender warranty by a factory authorized tech.  I mean really, it isn't like I personally parted the thing together.  It's a lot different IMHO with something like an amp where circuits have been replaced or the electronics on a bass were bad and had to be redone.  It's two hunks of wood that are primarily there to hang the hardware on.  I think we're making way too much out of this.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #81 on: April 04, 2012, 03:33:21 PM »
It's the official Drbassmanstein bass!!!!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 04, 2012, 05:23:19 PM »
Not a bad idea.  Maybe I could get a letter from them.  Frankly, I don't see it as an issue since it's all original Fender parts done under Fender warranty by a factory authorized tech.  I mean really, it isn't like I personally parted the thing together.  It's a lot different IMHO with something like an amp where circuits have been replaced or the electronics on a bass were bad and had to be redone.  It's two hunks of wood that are primarily there to hang the hardware on.  I think we're making way too much out of this.

Of ANY mfg out there Fender used parts spanning . . . well any old drawer that was discovered to have stuff in it they could use.
I think it's a non-issue.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Tokyo Rose
« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2012, 03:15:15 AM »
Well, this is interesting because, in truth, it is all oriental factory parts.  The only unoriginal aspect is they didn't leave the factory together.  Would it make any difference to a buyer?  I don't know.  I'd hate to try and explain it as it is a bit farfetched and might be hard for some people to even believe.  You know how we are so skeptical of some of the claims we read in eBay auctions!  Someone might think it's just a random parts bass I assembled and was trying to cover that up.  Oh well, if I keep it till I'm gone, no one will probably know or care.  It doesn't feel like a flipper to me.

A Freudian slip of gargantuan proportions if I have ever seen one! The good doctor has just revealed to us how it is really a Fender MIJ.  :mrgreen:

Watch here for Japanese women workers assembling the ferrules to Doc Bassman's oliginal Fendel CAL Jazz  ;D:

[move]

« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 03:51:52 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2012, 04:37:50 AM »
Oh Uwe, you took my typos and made me laugh until I cried!  I really can't trust this damn Mac to read my mind properly.  Thanks so much for the great laugh!

Is Pocket Fox like the top rock group in Hawaii?   ;D  Your Tokyo Rose segment got me interested and I Googled her for some background.  Looks like they could never conclusively pin it on her after the war.  Interesting history.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 05:35:10 AM by drbassman »

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 12, 2012, 03:45:14 AM »
Supposed to be finished today!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #86 on: April 12, 2012, 11:57:42 AM »
Is she done ?
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 12, 2012, 11:59:17 AM »
Is she done ?

No call yet, but I'm gonna drop by tomorrow around noon on my way to an off-campus meeting.  It should be finished by then!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 16, 2012, 04:51:26 AM »
Here she is, all new bod and neck.  Plays and sound great.  She's going to band practice tonight for a trial run.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #89 on: April 16, 2012, 01:34:47 PM »
Sure looks purty, glad it worked out!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird