Author Topic: Duck Dunn or no?  (Read 17307 times)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: Duck Dunn or no?
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2012, 08:21:32 AM »
Very cool! I love the new red Nate Mendel Bass too!

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2012, 11:44:11 PM »
Here's a shot I took the other day - it almost looks like incandescent light but it's the sun setting behind me:

Ordered some new strings - the Chromes on there now aren't thick enough - the A string is swimming in the nut - plus the blue silks don't match the color of the bass, shallow I know  :P  Was going to order LaBellas but decided to try GHS M3050 flats - they were cheaper and I've never tried them.

I find that the neck feels chunkier on the Dunn than on my '70s P, but I measured them with my calipers and they are almost identical, both width and back-to-front at the nut! Not sure if it's the neck shape, radius, or just pure subjectivity...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2012, 07:39:52 AM »
That's such a simple color combination that's it's elegant.  I like it!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2012, 08:32:06 AM »
The GHS Precision Flats are nice but unless something has changed, the only long scale version is called "long scale plus" which IIRC has a winding length of at least 38 inches. Your E string post will have to take up part of the wound portion past the silk.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2012, 10:06:51 AM »
iF i COULD EVER AFFORD A FENDER BASS "NEW" (WHERE YOU CAN CHOOSE THE COLOR)...THAT WOULD BE IT!  BEAUTIFUL.

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2012, 12:44:08 PM »
This color combination is definitely nice. I like the way the gold anodized pickguard complements the maple neck (or is it the other way around?)

The GHS Precision Flats are nice but unless something has changed, the only long scale version is called "long scale plus" which IIRC has a winding length of at least 38 inches. Your E string post will have to take up part of the wound portion past the silk.

Doh! I don't know why I didn't ask here before buying them.  :-[  I think I'll try them anyway, haven't had problems with the un-silked portion on the post before. Or do you think I should send them back and get something else?

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2012, 01:31:04 PM »

I don't really think that matters as long as the string holds together. Shouldn't make any audible difference.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2012, 07:01:05 PM »
I don't really think that matters as long as the string holds together. Shouldn't make any audible difference.

I think you're right - for most part I've never had a problem - I think it's only in extreme cases where the string ends up at an extreme angle in relation to the nut, possibly putting strain on it (the nut that is)?

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2012, 07:24:55 PM »
It won't matter tone-wise, and since you've also wound the sil portion around the tuner too, the tuning should be stable. What matters is there's always the possibility of the inner windings breaking or separating from the outer winding. I've had this happen twice, though not with GHS strings. Most likely nothing will happen.

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2012, 12:47:54 AM »
The strings arrived today - that was fast! 2 days from NH to CA! Strung 'em up, raised the saddles, played it for a while unplugged - so far so good! Dave, you were right about the E string, but doesn't look like it'll be an issue. Pics to follow...

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2012, 10:21:27 PM »
Definitely enjoying these strings - they feel a little more flexible than the Chromes that were on it when I got it. And Dave was definitely right about the low E:

No problems so far though - the angle from the nut to the tuner post seems to be fine. Wish I had left the A string a little bit longer to get a bit more pressure on the nut though...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2012, 09:37:43 AM »
Others have installed many more strings than I have, but i usually cut 'em four finger-widths past the tuner.  That leaves plenty of length for wrapping.

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2012, 12:27:06 PM »
Others have installed many more strings than I have, but i usually cut 'em four finger-widths past the tuner.  That leaves plenty of length for wrapping.

I go with three inches past the tuner, maybe an inch-and-a-half on the E string. Have to remember to do more like 4-5 on the A string!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2012, 12:36:38 PM »
On an inline headstock I usually just pull the string taut at the tuner and then measure out two more tuner lengths. 

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2012, 12:57:36 PM »
Two tuner lengths is exactly how I do it.