Author Topic: Muse  (Read 1498 times)

Chaser001

Muse
« on: February 04, 2011, 08:54:03 AM »
I bought Muse's "Absolution" album in December 2004.  That month was a very good month for me in many ways.  I instantly connected with the album, way more than I would normally.  Maybe it's because the music was just so good, or maybe because good things were happening to me, or both.  Back then, Muse wasn't very well known in the U.S.  The clerk at the CD store had never even heard of them.  Even now many Americans don't know who they are.  Unfortunately, there is also the Twilight movie vampire crap connection with Muse, too.  Even Chris Wolstenholme has said he isn't happy about it, although I'm sure he doesn't mind cashing the checks he gets from Twilight.  I suppose many Europeans may consider Muse to be old hat by now.  Nevertheless, I like their music quite a lot. 

Here is a video of Muse punking a TV show by switching instruments when they weren't allowed to play live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGWcXh-tKYo&playnext=1&list=PL5979C295CE5F3571

« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 02:15:46 PM by Chaser001 »

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Re: Muse
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 09:29:52 AM »
I have heard of Muse, I like them, but what is a CD store?

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 09:43:16 AM »
My favorite band. As a bass and synth player, there's lots to like. Not to mention life long Queen fan.  ;D Absolution blew my mind. I wasn't sure Black Holes could match it, but it did. The Resistance loses me toward the end, but it's still stronger than anything else I've heard in a long time as far as albums go. Matt Bellamy is so overly talented it's ridiculous. They're bigger than it would seem in the States. They managed to sell out the United Center in Chicago last March, and WHAT a show! Silversun Pickups did a great job as openers too.

Chaser001

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 09:48:45 AM »
I have heard of Muse, I like them, but what is a CD store?

FYE where I bought the CD in 2004 was considered a CD store.  Even now the store is still there (in the mall) with a large selection of CDs and many other things.  Obviously, in such places the number of CDs will decrease each year, but for the moment they're still there.  Of course any store which only sells CDs will go out of business.  How well FYE is doing, a nationwide chain which used to rely a lot on selling CDs, I don't know.  Probably not very well. 
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 10:05:01 AM by Chaser001 »

Chaser001

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 09:51:05 AM »
My favorite band. As a bass and synth player, there's lots to like. Not to mention life long Queen fan.  ;D Absolution blew my mind. I wasn't sure Black Holes could match it, but it did. The Resistance loses me toward the end, but it's still stronger than anything else I've heard in a long time as far as albums go. Matt Bellamy is so overly talented it's ridiculous. They're bigger than it would seem in the States. They managed to sell out the United Center in Chicago last March, and WHAT a show! Silversun Pickups did a great job as openers too.

It took a while to completely adjust to the last part of the Resistance album.  Now I look at the entire album as almost as good, or maybe just as good as Absolution. 

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 10:10:59 AM »
My favorite band of late, as well.  My kids turned me on to them with Absolution.  While people point to a degree of repetitiveness from album to album, I find some differences.  Absolution seemed, to me, to be based in almost baroque vocal structures.  Black Holes was more a move to rock/pop structures, even though the band favors the long drawn out words and phrases.  The Resistance leaned more on piano and keys than the previous two releases. Still, they're all really great albums.  I find myself singing the background vocals when I listen to them.  For those who don't already know, Bellamy's father was a rock star in his own write.  He was the guitarist for The Tornadoes, who made "Telstar" a hit in the '60s.  "Knights of Cydonia" is supposed to be a sort of tribute to that song.  I think you can hear some similar phrases running through both.

Muse, imo, marked then waning of small, simple bands and songs, and the return of BIG rock.  The money must be decent.  They cut their last tour short by moving dates UP, so that Wolstenholme could be home for the birth of his FIFTH child.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 10:14:45 AM »

I like them!

We are currently working up "Uprising", getting that grindy sub octave bass tone is a bit of a challenge.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 12:28:53 PM »
I LOVE the Absolution album. I liked Black Holes a lot, but haven't listened to the latest one except for what I've heard on the radio.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 12:51:45 PM »

I like them!

We are currently working up "Uprising", getting that grindy sub octave bass tone is a bit of a challenge.

Octave divider and distortion.  ;D

FYI - that one's kind of hit or miss on the covers circuit around these parts.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 01:20:36 PM »
Octave divider and distortion.  ;D

FYI - that one's kind of hit or miss on the covers circuit around these parts.

I've got the octave part reasonably good, still working on the distortion! I think you're right about it being hit or miss too Tom, but we definately learn song to play at certain venues - while not playing them at others.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 01:28:39 PM »
Well, if you're curious, here's what Chris uses with Muse (corrected from list for more current):

Efx Tray 1

•Human Gear Animato Distortion
•Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi (Russian)
•Electro-Harmonix Octave Multiplexer (Vintage)
•Crowther Audio Prunes and Custard
•Z-Vex Woolly Mammoth

Efx Tray 2

•Human Gear Animato Distortion
•Digitech Bass Synth Wah
•Line 6 FM4

Efx Tray 3

•Boss OC-2 Octave
•Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron (Micro)
•Akai Deep Impact SB-1 Bass Synth
•HomeBrew Electronics (HBE) Hematoma
•There is then a gap with 2 un-connected patch cables, possibly for the Boss DD-3
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Basshappi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 01:36:05 PM »
I have only heard the "Super Massive Blackhole" song. I guess I'll have to check them out in greater detail.
Nothing is what it seems but everthing is exactly what it is.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 02:26:52 PM »
I have only heard the "Super Massive Blackhole" song. I guess I'll have to check them out in greater detail.

Supermassive Black Hole is really good start.  Here are some songs that I'd suggest:

From Absolution:
Time is Running Out
Stockholm Syndrome
Hysteria

From Black Holes and Revelations:
Starlight
Knights of Cydonia
Black Holes and Revelations

From The Uprising:
Uprising
Resistance
MK Ultra