Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 5802 times)

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
What are you reading?
« on: September 29, 2010, 02:12:33 PM »
I've been studying up on Hendrix & the book Charles R. Cross Room Full of Mirrors is sure to make you cry when you read all the info accumulated from interviews with people who were never approached by other biographers. wow
I'm still REELING from the article someone posted here recently about the probability that Jimi was murdered by that evil shite Michael Jeffrey.
Read this book then it will all become quite clear to you!

Here's another murder mystery that was never solved...until now!
The Black Dahlia Files is a riveting account of the story made clear with new evidence:

www.amazon.com/Black-Dahlia-Files-Transfixed-Angeles/dp/0060582499

Great read! The photos are ghastly but you won't be able to put this book down til the end!

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 07:02:00 PM »
Currently reading "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak.
I'm on a 1 year hiatus from "The Gulag Archipelago". I can now understand where 20 million people went.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 03:59:51 AM »
I read way too little as regards books and I'm ashamed of it. It comes from my work - much of my daily chores consists of reading lengthy texts (I've become an incredibly fast, but sometimes als sloppy reader), so reafing a book is all too often not much of a pasttime for me. Which is unforgivable really. But when I get a book, especially a factual one, I read it criss-cross, jumping from chapter to chapter, end to beginning etc.

I'm an avid daily newspaper and weekly magazine reader though with politics and economics interesting me the most. I read a conservative daily and a liberal weekly (that balances things out), I have a subscription for Classic Rock (the Brit rock mag) and I do buy the German bass and guitar magazines. And I'm a great friend of classy gossip rags. Finding out that nothing much changes in the lives of Brangelina and the Beckhams from week to week and that Lindsay has broken her probation once again while George Clooney might marry his current Italian girlfriend after all reassures me of my place in universe!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 05:47:02 AM »
I try and read every night before I turn out the lights and find it a good way to wind down. It's also nice to read something on paper rather than on a screen.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 06:39:40 AM »
Just finished "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" trilogy, now back to "A History of the Twentieth Century" by Martin Gilbert, part one of three (1900-1933).  Read part two first (with the catchy subtitle 'Descent into Barbarism') so I have an idea of how things turn out.  Maybe that's why I keep falling asleep.

I recommend seeing the Swedish film of "Girl" before the US remake ruins it.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 07:57:05 AM »

I've just finished OIL & WAR by Goralski and Freeburg, as an avid reader of WWII history I found it informative and facsinating - definately very well researched. Individual chapters look at the various theaters from Axis and Allied points, one is left to wonder if the entire war was not started just over this one respource.

Next in the que "The Fall of Fortresses" by Elmer Bendiner - B-17 Navigator, privledged to ride to Schweinfurt in August, 1943.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 08:16:18 AM »
I read way too little as regards books and I'm ashamed of it. It comes from my work - much of my daily chores consists of reading lengthy texts (I've become an incredibly fast, but sometimes als sloppy reader), so reafing a book is all too often not much of a pasttime for me. Which is unforgivable really. But when I get a book, especially a factual one, I read it criss-cross, jumping from chapter to chapter, end to beginning etc.

I'm an avid daily newspaper and weekly magazine reader though with politics and economics interesting me the most. I read a conservative daily and a liberal weekly (that balances things out), I have a subscription for Classic Rock (the Brit rock mag) and I do buy the German bass and guitar magazines. And I'm a great friend of classy gossip rags. Finding out that nothing much changes in the lives of Brangelina and the Beckhams from week to week and that Lindsay has broken her probation once again while George Clooney might marry his current Italian girlfriend after all reassures me of my place in universe!

+1.  I read too many legal docs when closing deals to do much more than very light reading - bass player,  ny post....   I save my books till i go on vacation.  Read a great book called the Exile last vacation in august about the whole Israeli/palestine history/situation.  can't remember the author..
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 10:38:42 AM »
John Masters - The Road Past Mandalay

research
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 05:11:45 AM »
Elmore Leonard - Rum Punch
Robert G Barratt - Goodoo Goodoo
and
Henry Porter - Empire state
Digresion our specialty!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 07:39:06 AM »
 The Fringes Of Power by John Coville. A insiders look to Winston Churchill's time as Prime Minister. Fascinating reading.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2010, 09:40:31 AM »
Experience is the ultimate teacher

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2010, 10:18:29 AM »
I just picked up a compilation called The Mammoth Book of New Sherlock Holmes Adventures, edited by Mike Ashley.  I have found the stories in this collection to be very well-written and right on target in the spirit and style of the original Holmes stories.  They are short stories, perfect reading for lunch or times when you don't have hours.

http://www.amazon.com/Mammoth-Book-Sherlock-Holmes-Adventures/dp/0762436263/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1286039890&sr=1-1

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

GonzoBass

• View Profile
    • ReverbNation.com/GonzoBass
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2010, 10:43:58 AM »
It's just been fake books for me lately
(in .pdf form)
and lots and lots of charts...
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass.com

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2010, 03:47:45 PM »

The Black Dahlia Files is a riveting account of the story made clear with new evidence:

www.amazon.com/Black-Dahlia-Files-Transfixed-Angeles/dp/0060582499

Great read! The photos are ghastly but you won't be able to put this book down til the end!

The author of The Black Dahlia Files has also written a book called The Last Days of Marilyn Monroe.
I'm gonna get it ASAP.
He states intriguingly in The Black Dahlia Files that Robert Kennedy visited Marilyn the day she died....accompanied by the 2 dirty cops who have major roles in the cover up of the truths of the Black Dahlia murder!!

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2010, 03:49:18 PM »
I just picked up a compilation called The Mammoth Book of New Sherlock Holmes Adventures, edited by Mike Ashley.  I have found the stories in this collection to be very well-written and right on target in the spirit and style of the original Holmes stories.  They are short stories, perfect reading for lunch or times when you don't have hours.

http://www.amazon.com/Mammoth-Book-Sherlock-Holmes-Adventures/dp/0762436263/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1286039890&sr=1-1

Sounds gooood!