Author Topic: The Turning Point  (Read 1510 times)

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
The Turning Point
« on: March 13, 2008, 05:42:05 AM »
WooHoo! Just found full songs to listen to from this Classic John Mayall album:

California & Room To Move~ http://www.last.fm/music/John+Mayall/_/California

John Mayall's position in the British Blues world of the 1960's was akin to Art Blakey's position in the North American jazz scene. Both were gifted discoverers and developers of talent in addition to being notable musicians. At various times, Eric Clapton, Peter Green, John McVie, and Jack Bruce were members of Mayall's ever changing band. In 1968, about the time when the talented blues guitarist Mick Taylor left to play for the Rolling Stones, Mayall radically reconceived his usual electric guitar led format. His live album The Turning Point was the refined result of this risk taking.

Mayall eliminated the drummer in his new mix. Perhaps this was partially inspired by the presence of the talented bassist Steve Thompson, a deeply jazz influenced musician who provided a surprisingly flexible foundation for this innovative band. Both Mayall and acoustic guitarist Jon Mark ably switched off in the rhythm guitar role, helping to highlight the intricacy of exchange among the band's musicians. With an acoustic guitar and, at times, a flute in the mix this drummerless arrangement was ideal.

Jon Mark's excellence on guitar was in many ways the hub of the band, bridging the strong voices of the band's bassist and saxophonist. Whether soloing or working as an accompanist, Mark was consistently imaginative, at times displaying impressive classical technique. Johnny Almonds' bluesy, jazz saxophone generated much of the fire. His long solos, for example on “Thoughts About Roxanne,” drove the band from above, providing a foil for Mayall?s vocals while Steve Thompson's bass guided the band from below.

This was a passionate band that listened and played intensely. Whatever his occasional shortcomings as a vocalist, when Mayall was on he was a distinctive and heartfelt singer, and that night in 1969 at the Fillmore East he was in good form. In addition, his famous harmonica work on “Room To Move” is still fresh and a pleasure to hear. The Turning Point manages somehow to be both laid back and exciting with a unique and sophisticated mix of musicians who play together like a great band is supposed to. In short, this is a blues-rock “classic” that deserves the tag.

Mayall's song about Hendrix was good too---Accidental Suicide from Back To The Roots.

Saw him in Santa Cruz mid-80s with McVie on bass!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 05:48:58 AM by Rhythm N. Bliss »

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Re: The Turning Point
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 09:31:33 AM »
I love me some John Mayall.  I have USA Union in my collection.  I always liked how he managed to turn out such a great album with no drums.  Well, there was a pencil tapping used on one song.  It's in the credits.   8)
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 09:48:50 AM »
great album, one of my favorites!   I never realized there were no drums until I read the liner notes.   I played it for my son and his buddy (a drummer) and asked what they thought....neither noticed the lack of drums until I pointed it out.   :o

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 02:51:11 PM »
Play CALIFORNIA good an' LOUD!!!

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 12:26:41 PM »
Diggin' California again today. Wanna make sure everyone here listens to this.

http://www.last.fm/music/John+Mayall/_/California

nofi

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 02:19:14 PM »
i've had that whole record memorized since it came out. a great one by mayall, indeed. i love the bassline from california. it's fun to improvise a jam around it.

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 02:58:11 PM »
i've had that whole record memorized since it came out. a great one by mayall, indeed. i love the bassline from california. it's fun to improvise a jam around it.

Yeah~ That's what I did today. Glad we agree on something. :p
you're ok, nofi.

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 02:32:54 AM »
John Mayall just played at a Blues Fest in nearby Long Beach tonight so I'm pullin' this up.
Didn't find out til just now, so Oh Well.
Early Fleetwood Mac was good tooo  ;D

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 07:52:59 PM »
WooHoo! Just found full songs to listen to from this Classic John Mayall album:

California & Room To Move~ http://www.last.fm/music/John+Mayall/_/California

I was told that I'd used up my free listens to this song, but then I joined & made a profile for free, & now I can listen to it all I want.

Cool how the flute player goes off to the Middle East for a few bars & then back to California, ain't it?
I'm gonna build a whole instrumental off that & call it Rockin' & Moroccan. haha