Author Topic: Whats up with this EB3 ?  (Read 1393 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Whats up with this EB3 ?
« on: December 05, 2009, 07:17:53 AM »
 This is up on ebay right now, it is a weird one. '69-71 mudbucker w/mounting ring, bound neck ala slotted headstock EB3. Stripped finish but Like new looking headstock (refined I am sure), small headstock w/inlay, large 70's style tuners, funny plugs on the back of the headstock, bridge pup in wrong location (added on later I suspect) and the jack on the edge of the body( moved when the bass was turned in to a EB3 ?) If it stays low I might bid. What the heck is this thing ? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120500691112&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 11:03:27 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Whats up with this EB3 ?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 07:44:36 AM »
Natural fin and distinctly showing unmatched timbers on her head, too... no sign of there ever having been a serial number...

Is the cover missing on the bridge pup...?

"GIBSON" lettering looks too fat and isn't it in the wrong position...?

Looks like there are four "plugs" across the top, too...

You've got a lot of quality instruments, Scott... Personally think it's a ringer... may have once been a gibson body but that head looks "widened" from something else...?

You have that LP body which could be put to good use over the winter months...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 08:15:44 AM »
Interesting. Could be a transitional model, or just a semi-well-executed hack job. In addition to Ken's observations: The headstock is definitely suspect (at the very least, it looks like it was re-drilled for the large shaft tuners - which would account for the logo being compromised by the bezel). The neck pickup's mounting ring appears to have either been cut, or is running under the end of the neck (overhang or sumpin'?). The pics over on flyguitars show the mounting ring against the neck, but this one looks different. There also doesn't appear to be any binding at the upper end of der fingerboard, where it meets the pup. Maybe it's the angle of the photo, I dunno...
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 09:03:47 AM »
In addition, the bridge pickup should not be butted against the bridge.

Run away.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 12:11:06 PM »
In addition, the bridge pickup should not be butted against the bridge.

Run away.

Good advice
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 06:04:02 PM »
The headstock plugs seem to be where the old school EB tuners would have "divots" for the gear clamps. It looks like they have been routed out and filled.  The tuners are replacements obviously.  The lead pup has been added, as it is in the wrong place. But it appears that a donor EB-3 was involved with the parts being somewhat legit looking.  The neck joint looks funky for an earlier EB-0 though - is it the pic or me?  My suspicion is a wrecked 70s EB3 was stripped of its parts, and placed on this bass.  This may have been an EB-0, but altered (using the brass can as a guide) to having EB-3 layout for the controls.  The later pup ring for the mudbucker throws it all together for that hip happening modified look.

And I always agree with Chief Wild Eagle: Run away.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 07:44:32 PM »
that looks way suspect! that whole neck is wrong.and isn't the bridge too far back for a short scale?the ring on the rear pup looks too big as well.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Hornisse

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 07:56:18 PM »
I thought the slot heads had 19 frets.  This one has 20?  It is a strange one!