Author Topic: When...if ever refinish question  (Read 2095 times)

Dr. Aquafresh

• View Profile
When...if ever refinish question
« on: March 12, 2009, 03:04:30 PM »
Hey Y'all,

I have been thinking about refinishing my late 90's Les Paul bass, the solid body style.

It is a plain top with the "Honey" finish and I'm thinking of sending it back to Gibson for a "Gold Top Treatment".

Is this a bad idea?

There is nothing wrong with the finish right now, I just think it could be a little cooler  :mrgreen:.

What say ye'
Bring on the Nubiles

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: When...if ever refinish question
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 03:07:09 PM »
Cool. Do it!!

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 03:17:25 PM »
I think honey burst is one of the most beautiful finishes on Les Pauls...

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 03:38:23 PM »
when I spoke with customer service at Gibson asking about factory refins, I couldn't believe their prices.  personally, I really like the look of natural mahogany (yeah, I know, boring).  good luck with whatever you decide on.

indoors

outdoors

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 03:54:48 PM »
A factory refin I would imagine is a costly road to take.  I think if you check with local music shops, or at the ReRanch board you could probably find someone qualified and willing to shoot a gold top for less.  The bonus in having a natural finish is that its already level and smooth.  It needs minor prep work, as it just needs some roughing and primer coat. Of course, to me and many others, a gold top sans binding is peculiar at best, so you may want the top bound.  Good luck.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Dr. Aquafresh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 04:00:36 PM »
Yeah I hear ya on the binding issue.

My bass, however, is a carved top with binding! So, again I will toss in the little smiley man  :mrgreen: (my wife is right, I'm a super dork)

I'm really leaning toward this option. I was thinking y'all would overwhelmingly tell me to leave it as is.

I have contacted a local shop and they could also do it, it can't be that tricky.
Bring on the Nubiles

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 05:13:09 PM »
I refinished my Tequilabird with a selection of "off the shelf" car colours, but I wouldn't trust my opinion when it comes to refins... ;D
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 06:18:32 PM by Ken S »
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 05:18:40 PM »
 In the '80s I checked with Gibson for a refin for my Non reverse Thunderbird, back then they wanted like 2k just to refin the bass.  :o
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 05:19:58 PM »

I wouldn't hesitate to refin it, having done it to two of my 'Birds already. I don't know if you saw this thread but the work is great and from what I understand the  $$$ was very reasonable.

http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=1725.0
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 11:45:31 PM »
Well, send it to Ken S. and let him surprise you! ;D

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 04:42:14 AM »
If Gibson will do it at all these days, they'll ask for a king's ransom. Any luthier with a hand for fins will be able to help you. Just have a look at some of his work and then decide.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 08:12:07 AM »
I know of one person who used Gibson several years ago to repair a split in the headstock and refinish his original Thunderbird. It came back better than new ;D.  I don't recall what he spent, but I remember it was a very big ticket. This was back in the early or mid 70s when Thunderbirds were extremely rare and there were nothing but originals out there . Dinosuaurs roamed the earth and there was no such thing as a Reissue, so he figured it was worth sending it to Gibson. Good as it was, if I were in your shoes , I'd either leave it alone or shop around .
Rick

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 09:12:59 AM »
I have a Felix Pappalardi pre-owned fifties EB-1 about which the myth has it that he had it refinished in cherry by Gibson. Well it is cherry and the refin is great and looks perfectly original, but that is not to say that the same standard could not have been reached in some luthier boutique.

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Captcolour

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 04:21:10 PM »
I had Michael Dolan do a refin on my '65 EB3.  Did an awesome job and the price was very reasonable.  Doesn't hurt to get a couple of quotes.

rockinrayduke

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 04:48:47 PM »
Dolan. Nuff said. ;)