Author Topic: Where is the Chicken head?  (Read 1337 times)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
Where is the Chicken head?
« on: August 19, 2008, 10:28:27 PM »
I will admit to being a Gibson novice. And a more recent convert but shouldn't this EB-3 have a Chicken head switch (Varitone? is that correct?)

1968 Gibson Custom EB-3 Bass Serial # 914723

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200247169359&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=010
Digresion our specialty!

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
Re: Where is the Chicken head?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 11:03:00 PM »
don't appear to have one.

the site http://gibsonbass.com/ has a lot of information on it and an explanation of why it might have that serial number.

the slotted head with that serial number, the trim surround on the neck pup and the placement of the pup  = me thinks it is a late 69 or possibly a 70.

the description also says it had been repaired so the electronics might have been changed and i didn't see any choke which could have dated it a bit finer.

their are Gibby guys in here that know a lot more than me.................good luck on pinning it down.
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 11:21:39 PM »
Thx Old Puppy
Digresion our specialty!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 04:32:50 AM »
There were always a few EBs without the (largely useless) chickenhead varitone that sported a toggle switch. Jack Bruce had one like that and Gibson advertised with a pic of him playing one so I suppose you could get one if you asked nicely and had Eric Clapton and Ginger Baker as friends (or, as the case may be especially with Cream:  as enemies).

That doesn't mean that what you see above could not have been after-market. Certainly a sensible mod in any case.

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 07:48:09 AM »
It's not a 68. There were no slotheads before late 69 and almost all of them were made in 70 or 71.

Fairly common mistake. The 900000 series was also used in 70-72.

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 02:21:00 PM »
just noticed it looks to have some inscription on the bridge pup and a little of a visible inscription on the neck pup. that would date it to 71, but the pup placement is like a late 69 so it might have more work than originally posted. the inscribed pups are a 71 item only.

maybe a rebuild in a 69 body with a three way switch would 'splain it!!! or an 69 EBO/EB3 with a rebuild from a trashed 71 (like say a broken headstock)?

my old "holy grail cherished EB3" i now realize was an 60's EBO (cheap tuners) with a bridge pup and some electronics added.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 02:30:54 PM by old puppy »
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 02:42:32 PM »
There's no reason to think this is a 69. There were almost no 69 slotheads.

I don't know what you mean about the pickup placement and trim ring, on my 71 (EB-0L) there's a trim ring on the mudbucker and it's right against the end of the neck, just like this one, just like all slotheads. No Gibson inscription on the cover either.

This may or may not have a non-original switch but this isn't a rebuild of two basses from diferent years.

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 02:53:55 PM »
"their are Gibby guys in here that know a lot more than me.................good luck on pinning it down."

hmmm. i told me didn't i? lol

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 02:59:34 PM »
"there are guys in here that know a lot more than i do"

hmmm. i told me didn't i? lol

;D

In the years I've been online, I've picked up a lot more knowledge from others than I knew beforehand.