Author Topic: Covers?  (Read 4975 times)

stiles72

• View Profile
Re: Covers?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2011, 02:27:37 PM »
I actually like them!  Especially bridge covers, they work really well as a hand rest for the outside edge of my playing hand when I play pickstyle, at that point a pup cover is well out of the way so I like them too.
In my collection various basses have one, two or none - variety = the spice of life  ;)  

+1  To me they give the bass a classy look, and I don't find them to be in the way at all when I play. I usually just anchor my thumb in the same spot I would if it was the exposed pickup - or sometimes I'll rest my middle, ring, and pinky fingers on the pup cover and pluck with my index finger ala James Jamerson.  It's too bad Gibson doesn't go with chrome hardware and included these with the standard Thunderbird IV, like Fender does with the American '62 P-bass.

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2011, 06:23:35 PM »
This is the guy (that is also a member here) that is repopping the bridge covers and he can do the other T-Bird cover if you can talk him into it as he already has the dies.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GIBSON-EB-2-EB-1-EB-3-THUNDERBIRD-RIPPER-BASS-COVER-/270715581320?pt=Guitar&hash=item3f07e7f388
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2011, 11:56:54 PM »

I don't know if he is a member but I've emailed with and he has done both bridge and pup covers they are close but not exact copies of the Gibson originals ( I'm comparing to stock '76 parts) I used his pieces on my Lull quite happily and in fact thought they were very appropriate for that particular bass.
I think for those that really want some parts if you can give him a specific number of pieces he may consider a short run. Very nice guy too!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2011, 04:04:59 AM »
In february I wrote that Ebay seller, kmalkhe, asking for neck pup covers. I got this response: "I do have one left - a few minor scratches but otherwise nice. I sold 100 of these and this is the final one. I will sell for $75 shipped. If you want it, paypal $75".
But before I could buy it, I got a new message. The piece was already gone.
I also had a communication with another Ebay seller in the field, greatdealz1967, last month. Got to know that they sold their last neck pup cover month ago.
So, I guess we should check out how many pup covers we would need between us, and then find us a good manufacterer. But how do we do it, as Gerry and the Pacemakers almost asked a little while ago?
By the way, I use the neck cover as a resting place for the small finger side of my hand, when playing close to the fretboard. And besides, it looks nice! Who would think of a Ford Thunderbird without the chrome? Or a Volvo P 1800? You hot-rodders, you're your own kind... :P

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2011, 04:11:23 AM »
What amazes me is how you guys crave for chrome or nickel pups and then cover them from sight with those silly covers which were of necessity half a century ago when transformers hummed. We've left that behind yet you guys continue covering up like the Taliban do with their women.

The bridge cover obscures a pup you are otherwise proud of and the neck cover makes it impossible for a pick player like me to dampen the strings which is a great part of my style.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2011, 04:37:10 AM »
No hum with either of my uncovered '60s 'Birds thru my B-15N.  The day I got my white '77 (June of that year) I pulled both covers off it.  Numerous marks on both pups from the stainless picks I used were proof the covers would have interfered with my pick playing.

I also changed the white pickguard with the cartoon bird logo immediately for an unadorned black one. Everybody was sick of that Bicentennial BS at that point; mail boxes, fire hydrants, etc. painted with stars and stripes.

All 3 offending parts were still in the case when I straight traded the 'Bird in '82 for my '76 StingRay.  I regretted that for a long time until I got my '64 and realized how poorly the RI compared to the original.