Author Topic: The Boys Are Back In Town or soon to be  (Read 10315 times)

lowend1

• View Profile
Re: The Boys Are Back In Town or soon to be
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2009, 05:05:24 PM »
Agreed, IMO AC/DC ceased to be when Bon died.  Not that the new guy wasn't great but it was just never the same for me.

They were poised for success no matter who sang. HTH was the first step, and BIB was a click up in terms of commercial appeal. Their time had clearly come - it's just a shame Bon didn't get to experience the big splash.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2009, 05:35:27 PM »
Great live act in their heyday...

I had the misfortune of meeting Mr Lynott, and all due respect to the dead, I'll say nothing more...  >:(

Never seen John Sykes since he was in Tygers, but always thought Mr Coverdale made a big mistake in losing him...

Sounds like you had the same experience I did when I met Leslie West (he's gotten better over the years, though) and Zal Cleminson.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2009, 06:25:25 AM »
WooHoo! They're comin' to Cali too, I'll see 'em in L.A.
More dates:

http://eventful.com/performers/thin-lizzy-/P0-001-000043495-0

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2009, 08:15:19 AM »
Saw them opening for Queen at MSG in 1978 (if memory serves - gotta look for the ticket stub). Note Gary Moore on guitar...

I was just reading about that in the LaD DVD booklet last night. Guess there was a falling out between Phil and Robbo around that time, hence the 3 piece photo on the cover of Bad Reputation.

So who knows anything about Phil's rig? I see an Acoustic rig as well as what looks like a Marshall head on a 215. Nice combo!

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2009, 01:03:14 PM »
Robbo had a typical red headed scottish temper.
He slashed his hand in a blotto bar fight once
They flew Midge Ure in to complete the tour!

Phil Lynott used a lot of different amps and cabs (and bass guitars) over the years.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2009, 01:19:22 PM »
Robbo had a typical red headed scottish temper.
He slashed his hand in a blotto bar fight once
They flew Midge Ure in to complete the tour!

Phil Lynott used a lot of different amps and cabs (and bass guitars) over the years.

As I recall, that bar fight was the night before they were supposed to start a big tour of the States.  I thought that the tour was actually cancelled because of Robbo.  No wonder Lynott was pissed.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2009, 09:22:10 AM »
According to the DVD booklet, they got Gary Moore to fill in after the slashed hand incident. I DO remember reading about Midge Ure playing with them at some point. What a strange combo??? I like old Ultravox.........

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2009, 09:28:28 AM »
I still remember when Tommy Aldridge was in a Chicago band called D'Thumbs.  He was selling himself off of his days in Black Oak Arkansas, and was reportedly getting $500/week, with the stipulation that he only did 1 90 minute set any night they played.  Great band, but Aldridge wasn't all that. The band finally morphed into Off Broadway later.  Future Cheap Trick bassist Jon Brandt was in D'Thumbs.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2009, 09:37:20 AM »
According to the DVD booklet, they got Gary Moore to fill in after the slashed hand incident. I DO remember reading about Midge Ure playing with them at some point. What a strange combo??? I like old Ultravox.........
Midge Ure is a killer guitarist. He had to learn all the parts during the flight to the USA.
I have a recording of the song Wild One with Midge Ure in the fold. He did an excellent job.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2009, 11:25:18 AM »
I still remember when Tommy Aldridge was in a Chicago band called D'Thumbs.  He was selling himself off of his days in Black Oak Arkansas, and was reportedly getting $500/week, with the stipulation that he only did 1 90 minute set any night they played.  Great band, but Aldridge wasn't all that. The band finally morphed into Off Broadway later.  Future Cheap Trick bassist Jon Brandt was in D'Thumbs.

Wow, I didn't know he was in d'Thumbs. They were kind of just before my time. I was in high school when the Off Broadway record came out. I was in a band with a guitarist that was a huge fan boy and he played me a tape of the original version of Full Moon. He's actually IN Off Broadway now. LOL!

Loved Aldridge with the Pat Travers Band. That live record kicks ass. Mars Cowling!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2009, 12:23:38 PM »
So you know Mike Redmond?  Funny how Off Broadway has become a conglomeration of the old Off Broadway and Pez Band.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2009, 01:46:07 PM »
So you know Mike Redmond?  Funny how Off Broadway has become a conglomeration of the old Off Broadway and Pez Band.

Funny how you knew just who I was talking about! Yeah, played with him when I was 15. Did my first bar gig at B'Ginnings at that time. He got me a smokin deal on my first Ric when he worked at Soundz Music.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2009, 02:02:00 PM »
Funny how you knew just who I was talking about! Yeah, played with him when I was 15. Did my first bar gig at B'Ginnings at that time. He got me a smokin deal on my first Ric when he worked at Soundz Music.

OK, now we need to talk.  First of all - it was a matter of elimination.  If you were too young for D'Thumbs, then it couldn't be Rob Harding, John Evan or Mimi Bettinis (Pez Band). That left only the newest member, Mike Redmond.  btw - I still want to know what happened to the double-neck Epiphone bass/guitar he had custom-made for him.
Second, we did ALL of our business at Soundz Music.  Si was an old friend, and he actually travelled with us for about 6 months running sound for us.  I also knew a few other folks that worked at Soundz, or hung out there.  Like J.B. Ritchie.  I have a feeling we might know a lot of the same people.  I got drunk with Cliff Johnson one night before he put D'Thumbs together, and we opened for them in Off Broadway.

Rocker949

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2009, 01:20:58 PM »
From all I've heard a mediocre tribute act living in the past. Aldridge is reputed to hammer the songs to death, lacking Downey's swing, Sykes never got over the fact that he joined Lizzy when they were already in their death throes (I saw their final concert with Lynott, not a pretty sight let me tell you) and is really wasting his talent aping Lynott's vocals when he should be recording another 1987 or a Blue Murder follow-up. Gorham obviously has bills to pay as a non-writer with Lizzy, I like the guy, but doesn't he realize that he is obviously being misused here to give the last remnants of credibility to what is a floundering ship? Can't say anything about the bass player except that he has the most unenviable job of all.

I wouldn't be as damning if they had the guts to record an album with new material. Perhaps wisely they don't. Then we would know if Herr Sykes has Lynott's storytelling talents.

This is kind of like Ringo Starr and Klaus Voormann getting together and calling themselves The Beatles.

This is kind of like that, except they aren't calling themselves the Beatles
http://maccablog.co.uk/news.php?news=5674

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2009, 04:35:42 PM »
I give it more credibility than that. Voorman was a musical and artistic influence on the Beatles, no doubt, and as his tongue in cheek CD title shows, he always undersold his role with them, rather than cashing in on it. For that I respect him.

Might get that album actually. Sounds interesting.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...