Author Topic: live eb4l  (Read 4627 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: live eb4l
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2009, 03:38:12 PM »
Yes, I'm unfortunate enough to own one though it is now luckily equipped with the Hipshot supertone. Similarly, my EB-4L is a two pointer (Hipshooter now) too.  I always thought the two point beasts were the more prevalent ones among the maple neck EBs because by the time the three point bridge was introduced (late 73), the Grabber and the Ripper were up and coming, cannibalizing sales of the EB-3L, EB-0L and EB-4L beyond recognition. Who in his right mind would have bought a new EB-3L in, say, late 1974? Any SG looking bass was considered old news by then and mahogany out of fashion.

My love/hate relationship with the two point comes largely from my experience with the darn thing on long scale basses. Are you telling me now that I just got unlucky and most of these are in fact three point, that princess of bridges?  ???
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2009, 03:42:00 PM »
I really don't know. Maybe the ones I've seen were the exception.

I do remember that one of them I played and nearly bought was a 74.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2009, 03:45:47 PM »
I really don't know. Maybe the ones I've seen were the exception.

I do remember that one of them I played and nearly bought was a 74.

As usual, dear Dave, you were vastly ahead of your time. (We need a "biting lip smiley" here!)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2009, 03:51:09 PM »
I wasn't ahead of my time. It was a used one I found in a shop about 9-10 years ago.

EvilLordJuju

• Mud is its own reward
    • View Profile
    • Fly Guitars
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2009, 07:13:48 AM »
Not many EB4Ls with the original pups surviving then

I've always thought that it was the switches that went first. My first Gibson bass was an EB4L converted to an EB0. All four pole pieces wired together. It blew several amps before I got it looked at.

My current EB4L is stock, although I parted one out not so long ago - because I couldn't find the switch - now it seems the 'nighthawk' switches on sale by the greatdealz people are the right ones (they sell two types - there are pic of them here)

I suspect there could have been a trial EB0L before they went split headstock, (I don't recall ever seeing one though) whether it left the factory or balanced at all is another matter. But the EB3L (according to the often-wrong shipping figures) came a year later than the EB0L, so whilst still possible, I feel this is less likely.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2009, 11:06:08 AM »
Good tip with that Nighthawk switch, Jules, I just ordered two as the one on my EB-4L has become worse for wear.