Author Topic: Has the economy affected your bass buying?  (Read 2853 times)

pamlicojack

• View Profile
Has the economy affected your bass buying?
« on: May 18, 2009, 09:43:41 AM »
While I'm not a huge bass buyer and seller, (I haven't bought a bass in over 4 years but looking at one now.)  I still see lots of people buying and selling their stuff and sometimes it seems no one is being affected by hard times.  My rhythm player just dropped $1600 for a new Gretsch and it makes me wonder where is everyone getting all this money to buy these cool basses?

???

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Has the economy affected your bass buying?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 09:50:02 AM »
It sure has in my case.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 10:15:01 AM »
It's put a crimp in my style thats for sure and prices seem to be holding, I don't see any drastic drops in the used/vintage market.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 10:32:42 AM »
My GAS (except for the occasional temptations plugged here) was pretty much on the wane before the economy bottomed out.  I did buy one bass because it was too good a deal to pass up.  I'm not really looking to buy more, and am actually holding off on selling a couple until the market gets a little better.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 10:38:06 AM »

Mmmmmmmmm.............

Lets see, since August '08.

Epi fenderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx MkII.
Orville Thunderbird
Mike Lull Thunderbird

and there's a BaCHBird out there somewhere.

But I'm single and don't have any children or wife support thingys to deal with   ;)

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 12:20:34 PM »
That & my son's college tuition. Ouch!!!!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 02:43:17 PM »
Ahh... if wishes were four stringed... I'm sorting out stuff to sell to pay for the refurb of my tired kit...  :sad:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 02:56:57 PM »
Yep, most certainly.
I passed on at least one bass that I really wanted badly...
if not two.

I even sold one bass. And I hardly ever sell anything. I just can't let them go...

kungfusheriff

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 08:46:39 PM »
it makes me wonder where is everyone getting all this money to buy these cool basses?

Probably credit, which I avoid like the plague. I can explain why if you have a few minutes to kill. What it boils down to is, Mrs. KFS has me on the one-bass-per-year plan, which is working well because it's encouraged me to save money and choose my toys very carefully.

angrymatt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 09:15:08 PM »
Not really.  I've got a 3 pup faded flying v on lay away right now (buddy should be picking it up for me at the end of the month).  Being deployed means I'm getting extra pay, and no taxes right now, so I should be getting a new bass, bird, g-3 or rd, which ever gets to the money in my pocket first when I get back stateside (maybe another Spector Re-bop 5, I've really missed mine a lot since I traded it away) and hopefully the bachbird.

I also have plans for a pink semihollow telebass (not the slab P-bass telebass, but the tele shaped telebass) so warmoth might be taking some of my hostile fire pay too.

angrymatt, the lurk
'13 NR Thunder "Blue" Bird | '09 BaCHBird | '07 Zebrabird | '06 Tobias Growler | '03 Spector Rebop 5 | '87 Heritage

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 12:37:02 AM »
No real effect on me as yet. Govt job and being in Australia means things have not really changed that much yet. My Ration money for bass gear is not huge but I've still managed 4 basses a few speakers, a small mixing desk a 15" combo and 2 amps over the last year.
Digresion our specialty!

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 04:15:23 AM »
I usually sell off stuff in order to acquire new toys. In addition, I'm pretty realistic as to what I GAS over - this past year I had the SX bass bug (3 times!) and concentrated on unfinished projects, so it's been relatively inexpensive on the whole.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 09:33:39 AM »
I've been out of the buying frenzy for a few years now. I get a little bummed thinking about everything I've sold as well but in the end it's helped me to remember what's important (family and the time I can spend with them). I just splurged on two Bach birds which were the least I've spent on a bass in years. The economy and other factors certainly contributed to my change in circumstances, but I can only play one at a time anyway so I can't complain!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 03:14:46 PM »
I can't say that the economy has changed my buying habits - but I'm a really cheap bass buyer, almost always used and only at a great price.  I sold an EB-3 to balance out the expense on the Sunn Coliseum amp I just bought - but my bass-hanging wall is at capacity, so I'd have done that anyway.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 03:37:19 PM »
Damn it Bret... sounds like you work for the same government outfit that we have over here...  ;D

I heard that accusations have been flying over Mr Garretts expenses, too...!
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...