Author Topic: Accept reunion - sort of...  (Read 4073 times)

lowend1

• View Profile
Accept reunion - sort of...
« on: May 18, 2009, 04:20:10 AM »
Accept is back - with a guy from NJ singing! ;D

http://www.sleazeroxx.com/news09/0516acc.shtml

If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Re: Accept reunion - sort of...
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 05:42:38 AM »
You mean no more Udo, the little munchkin?  He looked pretty old when they were popular.  I never much cared for them, but always thought "Teach Us To Survive" was a cool song.

If I recall correctly, the bass was triple-tracked.  4-string electric, 8-string electric and a 4-string acoustic.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

nofi

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 06:23:13 AM »
i remember an amazingly beat to hell black p bass which would have to be ground zero for the relicing trend. although i'm sure it was mangled naturally, what with udo swinging on that wrecking ball and such. :mrgreen:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 07:45:47 AM »
I have my doubts whether this will work.  :rolleyes: Not because the new guy is a bad singer, but because Udo Dirkschneider is like Ozzy in a way: Not technically a good singer at all, but almost impossible to replicate credibly. Stuff like Balls to the Wall is inane, yes, but/hence hard to bring across convincingly. Dirkschneider can/could do it just like only Ozzy can sing/shriek N.I.B. or "Gen'rals gath'ring in the masseeeeeeeeeeees ..." without sounding like a spoof.

That said, I always thought of Accept as the dumbed-down poor man's Judas Priest. Even when Priest went AC/DC with stuff like "You've got another thing coming ...", they retained some sophistication and elegance. I miss that with Accept which to me always sounded heavy-handed. But I hear some of their trademark riffing in Rammstein songs.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 08:10:11 AM »
dumbed-down poor man's Judas Priest
   :mrgreen:

I always found Judas Priest dumb enough themselves  :o

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 08:30:47 AM »
   :mrgreen:

I always found Judas Priest dumb enough themselves  :o

I like Judas Priest, and Rob Halford was the best interview I ever did.  He is the only person I ever interviewed that NEVER (and I do mean NEVER) went "Umm..." or "Ahhhh..." when giving an answer.   He was probably one of the most articulate musicians I ever talked to, and he knew exactly what he wanted to say.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 08:54:42 AM »
maybe pics like these didn't really help them to come across as an intelligent bunch of guys ;D

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 09:07:43 AM »
Yeah, I can see that, and Rob is always just being Rob.  The only metal band to wear their street clothes on stage.  And watching them up close, from the side of the stage, every time Rob turned his back to the audience, he'd make funny faces to the band.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 01:04:27 PM »
maybe pics like these didn't really help them to come across as an intelligent bunch of guys ;D

YMCA!!!!!! YMCA!!!!!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 01:37:43 PM »

Hey Now!

That's not gay............well just Rob :gay:, (and I admire him for that) but remember the time - certainly alot of L.A. bands had an androgy about their stage clothes, silly in today's light but at the time it spoke of a style. I'll take it any day over the current "baggy" fashion that most metal bands wear onstage   :puke: 

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 03:54:37 PM »
Just Rob? What about the drummer Dave Holland's well-documented preference for, uhum, breaking the law with (handicapped as the case was) teenage boys who are his drum pupils?  ;) Still in prison if I'm not mistaken. Caught a hefty 8 year sentence (probably so harsh for denying his guilt, see below).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/northamptonshire/3423807.stm

For the record: He denies his guilt and I know nothing about the case apart from what was reported at the time. Guilty or not I thought the erasure of his drum tracks on a Tony Iommi solo album (the first one with Glenn Hughes that only came out years after it was recorded) shortly before its belated official release (you can still hear him on the bootleg versions) was kind of silly. He recorded those drum tracks years before of whatever happened (or did not happen) with his drum pupil. I sure hope people don't get the idea of remixing River Deep, Mountain High due to Herr Spector's murder conviction!

Uwe
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 04:00:40 PM by uwe »

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 04:00:21 PM »

That's news to me, I had no idea.
I definately do not condone that sort of thing.........
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 04:04:01 PM »
I know. That wasn't my point at all.

That said, I feel uneasy about that verdict myself whenever I think a bit more about it. Stuff like "Judge Charles Wide QC said he was very concerned about the risk Holland presented to adolescent boys and remanded him in custody for a pre-sentence report." makes you wonder whether the judgement would have been as severe without the homosexual implications (and what English country judges might think of homosexuality) and had involved a, say, (non-special needs) 17 year old girl. I just hope the English judge and the prosecution did a thorough and unbiased job. And that if they did, Dave Holland sees the errors of his ways and has a decent prison band to play in (I consciously avoided "with"!).
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 04:27:52 PM by uwe »

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 04:31:28 PM »
I have my doubts whether this will work.  :rolleyes: Not because the new guy is a bad singer, but because Udo Dirkschneider is like Ozzy in a way: Not technically a good singer at all, but almost impossible to replicate credibly. Stuff like Balls to the Wall is inane, yes, but/hence hard to bring across convincingly. Dirkschneider can/could do it just like only Ozzy can sing/shriek N.I.B. or "Gen'rals gath'ring in the masseeeeeeeeeeees ..." without sounding like a spoof.

That said, I always thought of Accept as the dumbed-down poor man's Judas Priest. Even when Priest went AC/DC with stuff like "You've got another thing coming ...", they retained some sophistication and elegance. I miss that with Accept which to me always sounded heavy-handed. But I hear some of their trademark riffing in Rammstein songs.

This is Accept's "Ripper Owens Moment". While Mark, IIRC, did sing an Accept ditty or two in the clubs with TT Quick, this will probably be little more than his opportunity to join the firm Owens, Cherone, Corabi & Turner (a partnership of trip-and-fall singers). The move will most likely prompt Udo to re-join at a later date. Ironically, TT Quick originally came of age in the  NY/NJ club scene as an AC/DC tribute band back around 1980-ish. They recorded some not to shabby metal albums after securing the services of Erik "Bam-Bam" Ferro on drums, the closest thing to Bonzo I've ever seen (meant in a good way).
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter