Author Topic: Bad Co. Bassplayer  (Read 6086 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Bad Co. Bassplayer
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2009, 05:04:09 AM »
BadCo = Free minus the innovation. With a bit of JJ Cale groove put in to compensate. Ralphs, Burrell and Kirke were all safe players that didn't take chances, Kossoff and Fraser were the opposite. That doesn't leave BadCo without merit. Songwritingwise the second album was even better than the first and for whatever reason, I've always liked their fourth album Burning Sky though it is in effect a Paul Rodgers solo album.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2009, 06:03:29 AM »
Ralphs and Kirke I agree with you Uwe, but Boz was quite the expressionist as a bass player with Bad Co. He did what Fraser did in the sense that melodically he supported the vocal melodies in his choice of notes and as such wasn't just your regulation straight player. His playing didnt just add to the rhythmical side of the band but changed how the songs sounded melodically like Fraser but maybe not to quite the same extent. 

Just how I hear it.
Digresion our specialty!

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2009, 02:07:15 PM »
BadCo = Free minus the innovation.

More like Free minus the tortured souls. Koss' struggles with substance abuse and Fraser's with his sexuality are documented - but that kind of baggage always seems to produce great artists. While I liked Free alot, BadCo's songs were more complete and catchier that those old hay rotters.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2009, 03:02:32 PM »
FREE was MIGHTY & missin' them LIVE when all my buds in school got to go still grieves me.

Rodgers has said that Free was good training for Bad Co.
Free often had someone come in to play piano, cuz Rodgers wasn't good enuf yet.
Rodgers ROCKS the piano in Bad Co. ie-Runnin' With The Pack
Boz Burrell's playing on fretless bass was amazing & his backup vocals were good too
BAD CO.s commercial success is way beyond Free, due partly to being on Zep's label Swan Song & being managed by Peter Grant.
They had more HITS than Zep in the mid-70s, more than ANYONE!