Author Topic: So I'm a little bit crazed.  (Read 7675 times)

rahock

• View Profile
Re: So I'm a little bit crazed.
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2014, 05:05:19 AM »
Congrats ;D. I'm sure it's going to work out fine, but I still want to hear every detail. I doubt that I will ever see one, unless I buy one too.
Rick

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2014, 09:26:33 AM »
Rick, I got a little more time to play with it last night.  So far I'm very happy. 

I'm playing though two cabs which are both first series Shuttle gear...a single 12T and a 210T.  (I used to have a pair of 12T cabs but for some reason decided that I wanted the 210 more, so I sold the second 12 and bought a used 210.)

I've been playing at moderate volume, generally with the tube gain up about 3:00 to 4:00, the tube volume maxed out (I generally leave it there) and the master gain not much past 9:00 (2 or 3 out of 10).

What I think I hear is a fuller bottom end. I've played with the tube gain and rolled it back and bit and the clean signal is still there, but by turning up the tube gain, the tube drive is perhaps a bit grittier in the 6.2.  I like that.  The manual says "The Gain structure is set in such a way that using the control beyond the 3 o’clock position will provide dramatic increase in tube overdrive."  I think this is actually similar to the 6.0.

Where I come out is that for a $100 difference between what I paid for the 6.2 and what I sold my 6.0 for, it's worth it.  If I were spending much more than that, I don't think I'd do it.  But I don't have access to big-time cabs like the Benz Ubers, and I suspect that with somewhat larger cabs any differences might be more immediately obvious.

Since my band is currently practicing very occasionally (due to one member's working on an oil exploration ship 50% of the time for the past few months) I won't get a chance to work it at band practice for a few weeks.  Fortunately our traveling member is finishing his work gig and we should be able to get together more often around the end of March.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2014, 05:34:40 AM »
That's Cool 8). Not a big surprise. I have become a big fan of anything Genz Benz has . I'm not familiar with a lot of their gear, but everything I've encountered has been outstanding. Even reading reviews on line for the stuff I've never seen has been impressive. Nothing but favorable comments and stuff like "best amp I've ever owned". The only guitar amp that I've heard is one of their Acoustic guitar single 12" combos, and it was probably the best acoustic amp I've ever heard. It's really a shame if they disappear  :sad:.
Rick

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2014, 10:00:44 AM »
You know how one thing leads to another...?

Now I discover that there's a second series of Shuttle cabs with light colored metal grilles.  Supposed to be stronger low end as well.

But the first series 12T and 210T cabs sound so good that I think I can resist the temptation to start trading cabs as well.  I don't think I'm missing much at this point.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2014, 10:41:13 AM »
Mine just arrived, UPS to USPS to me.

Big Question:  What comprises an 'original sales receipt' these days?

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2014, 06:12:32 PM »

I'd save whatever I had, including the original emails confirming purchase.  I often print those out and store with with the owner's manual - which I file in an expanding file by product type.  I have one file specifically for Musical Instruments.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2014, 08:30:13 PM »

I'd save whatever I had, including the original emails confirming purchase.  I often print those out and store with with the owner's manual - which I file in an expanding file by product type.  I have one file specifically for Musical Instruments.

I don't even print 'em out, I just save the emails as a pdf (with a virtual printer). You can always print that out if you ever need to. And if you paid by Paypal you can always get a receipt.

Only time I ever needed a hard copy is when the motor on the vac I bought online fizzled out during the warranty period. I just printed out the Paypal receipt that showed the purchase date. No problem.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2014, 05:30:58 AM »
Thanks, Al and Dave.  I emailed the seller just to see what the response will be.

As far as the amp, it's a keeper.  Sounds great flat, it's quiet and powerful.  Tone controls are easy to work with.  I'm sure I can get a good sound with any decent cabinet.  Right now it's pushing a '67 all plywood B-15 cab with an 8 ohm Eminence legend rated at 300 watts.  Haven't tried it with  other cabs yet.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2014, 06:05:59 AM »
Congrats  ;D. You said it all, You will get a good sound out of any decent cabinet. I have a single 15" Eminence cab too,  that sounds really nice. I really like it through my 2 12" Eminence w/ tweeter Avatar Cab which is rated at 500 watts. I've been a diehard 15" guy since I started , but these newer 12 " neos have turned me  their way. For me, 12s are the new 15s ;).
Rick
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 06:27:38 AM by rahock »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2014, 09:20:54 AM »
Thanks, Al and Dave.  I emailed the seller just to see what the response will be.

As far as the amp, it's a keeper.  Sounds great flat, it's quiet and powerful.  Tone controls are easy to work with.  I'm sure I can get a good sound with any decent cabinet.  Right now it's pushing a '67 all plywood B-15 cab with an 8 ohm Eminence legend rated at 300 watts.  Haven't tried it with  other cabs yet.

Glad the first impression is good - it will continue.  That cab sounds like a great pairing. I agree with Rahock's comment - it will sound great with any decent cab.  It will be fun to experiment with it. Don't be afraid to push that preamp as hard as you feel like - it may turn on some lights, but that's all within its design.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2014, 09:44:22 AM »
Out of curiosity, I checked the website for the amp seller, Geartree.com.

There's a fair amount of Genz-Benz and other bass gear there, and it appears the prices match their Ebay offerings.  Here's the Genz page:

http://www.geartree.com/m-969-genzbenz.aspx

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2014, 10:15:19 AM »
Out of curiosity, I checked the website for the amp seller, Geartree.com.

There's a fair amount of Genz-Benz and other bass gear there, and it appears the prices match their Ebay offerings.  Here's the Genz page:

http://www.geartree.com/m-969-genzbenz.aspx

Yeah, but no Streamliners!  Loving the Shuttle but 2 more tubes and a Baxandall is definitely intriguing.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2014, 10:39:23 AM »
They emailed me an invoice, it's an .rtf file and looks legit...although I could probably make an invoice for everything I own using it as a template.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2014, 01:28:22 PM »
I've filled out my warranty card, looked up Geartree's physical address on their website, just thought I'd cross the T's and dot the i's.