Author Topic: So I'm a little bit crazed.  (Read 7675 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
So I'm a little bit crazed.
« on: February 04, 2014, 04:01:59 PM »
I saw one too many Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.2 heads advertised at excellent prices.  Then I had to listen to Ed Friedland's review and demo of the 6.2 and its voicing.  I really liked what I heard.

I bought this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221271101782?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

And I can sell my Shuttle 6.0 for close enough to what the 6.2 cost me that I won't get hurt much. I just figure that the time is now, before the Shuttle 6.2 heads that are new-old stock disappear after Fender bought Genz-Benz.

I'll be listing my Shuttle 6.0 soon!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: So I'm a little bit crazed.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 08:34:14 PM »
Wow. Weren't these about $700-800 not that long ago?

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 09:03:43 PM »
Yeah but it seems like a lot of sellers are dropping the prices to blow them out since Fender is killing off GB.

Congrats on the new amp!!!
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 09:57:05 PM »
Wow. Weren't these about $700-800 not that long ago?

Exactly.  At that price I can afford to make a switch!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

drummer5359

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 09:28:40 PM »
Very, very cool. Congrats!
"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd.
But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 05:22:46 AM »
Congrats on the new 6.2 ;D. I'll be sticking with my good ole 6.0, but I have thought about doing the same thing. I gotta say , I love that little Genz Benz more than anything I have ever owned. It kills me that Fender bought them just to burn them. They made a lot of nice stuff and flew just under the radar so there weren't a whole lot of them around. My first encounter with Genz Benz was a few years back playing some electric acoustic stuff. A buddy of mine showed up with a single 12 guitar amp one night and it simply blew away everyone elses gear, that included a couple of Fenders and a Carvin. At the time I thought that they specialized in acoustic amplification. I later learned that they simply made good stuff ;D.
I'm really sorry to see them go away :sad:.
Rick

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 10:39:33 AM »
If you know anyone who wants a 6.0 with less than 40 hours on it, send them my way.  I'm working up an Ebay ad and I'm debating putting a reserve in the $250-$275 range on it.  It's already on TB at $290.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 01:19:35 PM by Pilgrim »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 12:04:28 PM »
Genz Benz was bought by Kaman in 2003 and Fender bought Kaman's music division in 2007. Over 6 years later, I don't think it's fair to say they bought it to burn it. Kaman sold its music division because it was a drag on corporate profits. You had to know Fender was going to make changes over time.

If these amps have been profitable for FMIC, then it's likely you'll see them again under a different name.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 05:05:02 PM »
If these amps have been profitable for FMIC, then it's likely you'll see them again under a different name.

How is SWR doing?  ;)

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 05:31:26 PM »
How is SWR doing?  ;)

I'd guess about the same as Sunn, Genz Benz, Tacoma and Hamer.  ;)

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 06:11:11 PM »
I never understood Kamen's involvement in MI anyway. Post 9/11, being a defense contractor is a license to print money but GB under their ownership finally seemed to be the only switching amp maker to find the correct balance between value and quality. Back to Kamen: their support for QC for Trace Elliot back in the day followed their governmental product support model, IOW, let the product 'sort itself out.' That's why many thought that Gibson buying Trace was going to be good for them.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 09:44:53 PM »
I never understood Kamen's involvement in MI anyway. Post 9/11, being a defense contractor is a license to print money but GB under their ownership finally seemed to be the only switching amp maker to find the correct balance between value and quality. Back to Kamen: their support for QC for Trace Elliot back in the day followed their governmental product support model, IOW, let the product 'sort itself out.' That's why many thought that Gibson buying Trace was going to be good for them.

Years ago (way before 9/11) I saw a 60 Minutes feature on Charles Kaman. He was fascinated with finding a way to improve acoustic guitar sound, and it all grew from there. He could afford it so he did it. I wonder how disappointed he was that Ovation never got the respect he thought it deserved.

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 07:13:58 AM »
Ovation Magnum bass.  Remember them? Developed in the mid 70's by Kaman. At the time probably the most advanced production bass in the market, whether the Mag I or the active Mag II. A beast of a bass and still to this day the massive  pickup in the neck position probably holds the title for being the 'lowest' down. Listen to anything from the mid 90's onward by Jah Wobble to attest to that.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 07:41:15 AM »
REO Speedealer's bass player used a Magnum II when I saw them in 2000. He wasn't in the PA, and they were kinda boring. (REO Speedwagon sued them and they had to drop the "REO" from their name later.) They opened. That was the same show with the Supersuckers second billed and Nashville Pussy AND Motorhead co-headlining: six hours of rock awesomeness!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 10:35:20 PM »
I have the Applause AE-40, acoustic/electric which is really same as Ovation with the deep bowl back and composite body but without the fan headstock.  Nice bass, good for practice if nothing else.

The Shuttle 6.0 is sold, showing that folks on TB can recognize a good amp when they find it.