Author Topic: In Praise of Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0  (Read 1086 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
In Praise of Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0
« on: October 17, 2010, 03:20:48 PM »
A year ago, I sold my heavy gear and changed to a Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0 head with a pair of their 12T speakers.  Throughout the year, I didn't find any practice or gig where I needed the second speaker.

Last night we played a gig in the country; the setting was an equestrian barn about 50 feet wide x 200 feet long.  I brought both speakers, eager to finally play in a setting where the second speaker would be useful.  The guitarists play through 60-80 watt amps, and there's a 1000-watt PA.

As it turned out, I could easily have played the gig with a single 12T, but figuring that double the speaker area would be good, I used both.  And the total volume required was - less than 1/3 of the master volume.  I had the preamp gain at about 75%, and the amp sounded wonderful. Everyone in the band was impressed with its sound and power. The only challenge was keeping it down so it wouldn't dominate the whole band.

When I read comments on TB about guys who say they need more power and headroom so they upgraded to the Shuttle 9.0, I cannot figure out what they're playing and where.  They must be playing at ear-bleeding levels....or in NFL stadiums.  One 12T speaker connected to the amp yields 375W, two speakers drops the impedence to 4 ohms and unleashes 600W.  That's a lot of power!

The sweetest part is that the amp and one speaker weigh 36 pounds - and bringing the second speaker adds another 32-pound handful.  My back likes me much more now!

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
Re: In Praise of Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 08:18:56 AM »
I've got a Shuttle 6 too.  It's a keeper. Aside from the weight and volume, I quite like its tone, and the EQ is pretty flexible for a four-knob job.

(I'm not using their cabs though. I have an EA CXL112L and CXL110.)
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 11:05:25 AM »
A lot of guys like the G-B Uber bass cabs (like the 2x12 and 4x10) with the Shuttle amps, and of course as a gearhead I'm tempted, but I love the portability of the separate 12's and I'm not hearing them lacking anything that I need.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 12:59:07 PM »
love the hiflyer bass.  great shape
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

fealach

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 03:52:02 PM »
I've never owned a Shuttle, but all the Genz gear I have owned has been super, and their customer service can't be beat.  I was stunned when the reply to my first email about a long out of production amp came from its designer, not only answering my questions but adding a ton of technical information.   Financial ruin forced me to part with my heavies, but I've held on to the Neo-Pak, the Shuttle's predecessor.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 01:15:11 PM »
love the hiflyer bass.  great shape

It's not gettin' much love lately - been too busy playing other basses, esp the Bronco.  I need to get back to that one.  We have a practice tonight....might be a good opportunity.