Author Topic: EB-0 to EB-6 Conversion  (Read 6006 times)

tore00

• Southern by grace of God
    • View Profile
    • Snakebite
EB-0 to EB-6 Conversion
« on: November 23, 2012, 11:09:28 AM »
I was always intrigued by EB-6 and Fender Vi, but never had the possibility to buy one, and frankly, since I am a mediocre player, I always wondered if I was good enough in managing two strings more.

So I noticed that the headstock of Epiphone EB 0 can easily accomodate additional tuners, so i found a cheap EB 0 and modified with two additional strings, bridge pickup, additional tuners and controls.

It went out very nice, sorry for the pics that are crappy, and I wonder how easy is playing. At the same time is quite bassy. The pickups are Artec guitar humbucker and are quite hot. Still I have to solve some issues with wiring but i anticipate some pictures

Maker of the Bad-Sonic Pickups

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: EB-0 to EB-6 Conversion
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 12:11:14 PM »
Pretty nice looking work!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 01:04:53 PM »
Nice conversion on that headstock esp. The plate from Epiphone to Gibson.. Also that replacement pickup at the neck. Do the keys make it ever so slightly neck heavy?

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 01:52:01 PM »
may we see how you did the bridge please.
Louder bass!.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 03:29:17 PM »
may we see how you did the bridge please.

Yes!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 03:46:46 PM »
  Very cool!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 07:43:14 PM »
Me likey! I'm a fortunate owner of the MIJ (or is it CIJ?  ???  ) reissue of the Bass VI, but I've always had a soft-spot for the EB-6!

tore00

• View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 01:03:40 AM »
It is not more prone to neck diving than my EB-0. I use a large strap and I have no problem.
Guys, you got the point.
The bridge was actually the real problem of this project. I started thinking to a guitar bridge, as I have seen on other conversions, but the problem is that the string spacing is too narrow, and does not allow to use the full width of the fretboard.

I was thinking to use single string bridges, but they were generally too wide. So I did the bridge with a simple modification of the three point bridge:
I glued a piece of wood on it and filed the slots for the strings. The three point bridge can actually accomodate six strings, using the lateral slots, however the routing of the slots needs to be done carefully. Surely it is not adjustable, but the EB-6 was like this.
Anyway here are the pictures of what is under the cover:

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 04:23:00 AM »
Interesting approach for the bridge, whats the string spacing? Pickup poles seem completely off.
Also what strings are you using?
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 06:59:12 AM »
The treble side looks on target, the bass side just needs some work.  Once he gets it spaced correctly, a metal or bone saddle would be a good replacement idea.  In fact, I'd be tempted to take a precut bone saddle for an acoustic guitar and modify it for this bass. 

Another easy fix would be a decent quality guitar bridge, like a Hipshot, mounted on a custom cut block of wood, stained cherry of course, to cover the 3 old bridge mounting holes.  You could probably still cover it with the bridge cover.  It's a cool idea nonetheless.  I've been thinking about doing the same thing with an old Gretsch short scale solid body bass or a Musicmaster bass.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

tore00

• View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 07:17:21 AM »
I am usinh Fender VI strings, that can be found at Lord of the string web site or on ebay. The problem with a guitar bridge is that the string specing will be quite narrow. With a 6 string (B-B) bass bridge will be too wide.

Yes the low E looks far from the poles, but I can assure that there is no audible effect on the sound.

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2012, 11:48:20 AM »
I wouldn't worry about the E unless it was poorly aligned with the Fretboard.
I'd do a bone saddle  :)