Author Topic: BaCHbird  (Read 283273 times)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
Re: BaCHbird
« Reply #1890 on: November 03, 2010, 05:07:09 PM »
Sad to say she has taken a knock in transit  :-\    the neck/body join has hairline cracks down the side, back and along either side of the fingerboard on the body. It was very well packed so it must have been a decent whack. I have to get off to work but I will take some pics when I get home. I'll take it into my luthier and get him to give it a good check.

The bass itself is simply gorgeous. beautiful wood grain. The bridge is so much better than it looks in photo's. Not that it looks bad in photo's. I'm just surprised how cool it really is. The neck is fatter than I expected but feels great to play. It has a nice consistent "C" shape to it. Its width is perfect for me.
During a quick play through my Nemesis 250 15"  I was amazed at how "Classic Rock" this bass sounds even with the Artecs.
Not sure what strings are on it but they only get a 5/10 from me. Will replace these before I start adjusting things.

Very nice bass indeed
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 07:40:09 PM by Freuds_Cat »
Digresion our specialty!

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: November 03, 2010, 05:54:53 PM »
Oh man, that's not good at all... I hope you can work out the solution that makes you happiest.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #1892 on: November 04, 2010, 09:12:42 AM »
Ouch! It seems more serious than you told me in the email.   :sad:
Please keep the box and all the packaging stuff. We are going to need it to get insurance money...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: November 04, 2010, 08:57:15 PM »
No worries Rob, I took some pics but they didnt come out very good so I will have another attempt later. My gut tells me that the wood has flexed rather than broken and is most likely fine but the Acrylic being more brittle has cracked around the join.
Digresion our specialty!

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: March 15, 2011, 07:34:13 PM »
It somehow felt better to elongate this already record breaking thread than to start a new one.

I get my Bachbird back from my luthier hopefully next week.
There seems to be two trains of thought from my reading the comments of the people who have bought these basses.
1. One is that its a great bass already and to keep it as is, a modern tribute to a great and rare instrument from the past. But still its own instrument.
2. To mod the bass so it becomes more of a Gibson NR replica.

I decided on the second option which meant that I had to do/get a few changes done like Belly cutaway on the back, Black headstock face, reverse tuners (Gotoh reso-lites), white tusq nut. I already have the new PG. In a few weeks I will order a pair of Lulls. I need to get a thumb rest, I missed out when they were offered around earlier. Wish I'd grabbed a tailpiece as well.

The neck on mine has a heel behind the nut. This is obviously to add mass and strength to the "break" area. Personally I think this is a good idea even though its not regulation replica stuff.
Its also rather a chunky neck compared to any other T-Bird I've played which is a little disapointing as I have the impression that the real thing has a very slim neck.

I know a few of you like Scott and Mark bought two BB's. Have you guys Gibson-ised either of your basses or have you kept them as Bach's?

How are people who bought these basses going with them now that they have become part of your bass wardrobe?

Digresion our specialty!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #1895 on: March 15, 2011, 07:58:10 PM »
Well, I got mine, and the only thing I did was to change the volume pot, and I dropped an old Gibson pickup into it.  When I sold it to Carlo, he seemed happy with what I did.  I think he was originally planning to do some changes and swap some parts.  Carlo?

Really, the first run was more than adequate right out of the box.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: March 15, 2011, 09:07:27 PM »
As a player (the bass that is) I have to say that mine which would be one of the later ones is the same Gary. Very respectable player straight out of the box indeed. The sound of the Lulls aside, most of my changes are aesthetic.
Digresion our specialty!

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: March 16, 2011, 12:46:14 AM »
How are people who bought these basses going with them now that they have become part of your bass wardrobe?

I just got back from a rehearsal with mine.  I could swear its getting better the more time goes on, and the more I use it - maybe its "settling in"?  Whatever that means.  I dunno, probably just me.  In any case - I absolutely love it!

This one was of the second batch.  Thin body w/contour, and neck is slender - much like that of my '76.  It has TB+ pickups, so sound is somewhat reminiscent of a Tbird of today (if it were partly maple and "mystery mahogany").
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 12:53:06 AM by chromium »

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: March 16, 2011, 02:17:05 AM »
maybe its "settling in"?  Whatever that means

I had the same experience with my Robin Ranger ...... There's a theory ( which IMO sounds very plausibel ) that sometimes you'll need to play open the pores in the wood before the instrument will reach its full potential, the process should be more audible on basses with thin necks.
Experience is the ultimate teacher

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #1899 on: March 16, 2011, 02:21:11 AM »
Its also rather a chunky neck compared to any other T-Bird I've played which is a little disapointing as I have the impression that the real thing has a very slim neck.

That is one thing that puzzled me too about your bass. It is the only BaCHbird I've seen that had the volute and the chunkier neck.
With every batch of BaCHbirds BaCH seems to feel the need to change something; The second batch didn't have the belly cut. But the body was substantially thinner than the body of the first batch. There was a series that had a different angle between body and neck (which resulted in a lower set bridge). Your bass obviously had the volute plus chunkier neck.
And a month ago I sent a BaCHbird to Japan that had an arm contour...

As for changes made to my own BaCHbird.
I made a new pickguard.
I added a Gibson Bicentennial pickup at the bridge. I placed a chrome cover over the Artec pickup.
I replaced the pots. The volume pot for the Artec is a push pull pot, allowing me to switch to single coil when desired.

And of course there's still the BaCHbird Deluxe. A one off pilot. A Transparant Red BaCHbird with Chi-Sonics, new wiring with CTS pots and switchcaft jackinput. New pickguard. And Res-O-Lite machine heads.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #1900 on: March 16, 2011, 04:24:16 AM »
I have 2, the first run White from Gary and second run Honeyburst from Saltydog.  I painted the headstock black on the Honeyburst and made a more correct TR cover.  I used it as a test bed for some 60's Tbird pups.  The bridge needed some work because the strings hit the back of it due to the notched saddles on the second run basses.  Recut the nut.  Now plays great and the finish is excellent.  Once I reassemble it I'm going to sell it because...

The white bass with it's thinner body, belly cut and unnotched saddles is a lot nicer.  I'll probably keep it, may refin it the correct shade of Polaris white, including headstock. TR cover is already made.  The late 60's pup in it has become part of the repro project, either it or a repro will go back in it.  Maybe use the bridge and tailpiece from my Embassy and Hipshot Ultralites.  Not high on the to do list.  My 64 IV and '65 II pretty much satisfy my TBird needs.  I play one or both every day.

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: March 16, 2011, 04:31:48 AM »

Rob, you say "I placed a chrome cover over the Artec pickup". Now, where did you get hold of such a thing? :o

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #1902 on: March 16, 2011, 04:52:50 AM »
I meant the actual pickup casing. Not the handrest.
Greatdealz on Ebay used to have them. But I think he ran out of pickup casings.

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: March 16, 2011, 06:34:06 AM »
I know what you meant, Rob. Just thought it would look kinda nice with a rounded T-bird pup look, instead of the rectangular one. I'll keep an eye out for Greatdealz. Thanks!

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: March 16, 2011, 08:03:36 AM »
I hope you guys are documenting all these first and second run variations and how to identify them. Otherwise Last Outpost users in 20 years time are going to be having some terrible arguments.