Author Topic: BaCHbird  (Read 283277 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: BaCHbird
« Reply #1770 on: May 18, 2010, 02:59:40 PM »
It would take a lot of work to get just so - I tried a "gold" type on mine (PC rebuild) prior to the fin I settled on for the pups as it just did not work...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Funkster

• View Profile
    • JFHProductions
« Reply #1771 on: May 19, 2010, 07:53:54 AM »
Just a couple of Bach action shots from our outdoor gig last week with Bootsy & Da Funk!.

The Bach souds good but I would like a little more output and clearity, I haven't opened mine up yet, what does it have for pots and what value cap is there? Are there any suggestions to what to install to make this thing roar with the stock pup's? At least untill I can grab a lull pup or 2?
LIFE Is all about ass. You're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, or trying to get a piece of it. 
http://www.jfhproductions.net/
Henry

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: May 19, 2010, 08:26:42 AM »
Seems like we are split between 500 or 250k on the pots.  CTS is the high standard..... with the 2 pups the 500 might be overly brite but always easier to take away then add what is not there..........  usual cap is .47

Denis - as far as the painting the pups - imho really bad idea.  huge headache
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Funkster

• View Profile
    • JFHProductions
« Reply #1773 on: May 19, 2010, 10:28:14 AM »
Thank you very much, I'm on it!
LIFE Is all about ass. You're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, or trying to get a piece of it. 
Henry

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #1774 on: May 20, 2010, 01:45:21 AM »
Hi Funkster, welcome to the club  ;)

Try raising the pickups a little. You'll get more output and more growl.

The pots inside are kinda crappy to be honest.
I can recommend replacing them with CTS pots.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: May 20, 2010, 08:33:16 AM »
The Bach souds good but I would like a little more output and clearity

The Artec in my bass measured around 12K, and had a bit of that "overwound" girth in the mids that I like.  If you want more clarity, one thing that came to my mind is the fact that the Artecs have individual outs for the coils.  Rather than do a coil-tap/single coil config, you might experiment with wiring the coils together in parallel rather than in series.  That would probably drop the impedance to ~6K, and I imagine the sound would be less saturated in the mids and more clear.  Maybe someone here has tried this?

I did this with an EB-0, and my favorite setting (in addition to the stock mode) was the parallel-humbucker mode.  You get the benefits of a humbucker, but with more of a clear/articulate single coil sound.

Just a thought- might be something to experiment with while you are in there.

Funkster

• View Profile
    • JFHProductions
« Reply #1776 on: May 20, 2010, 08:41:56 AM »
Awesome info guy's and it looks like a little brain salad surgery is in order for the weekend! lol
Henry

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: May 20, 2010, 11:56:18 AM »
just to further that option -   think of a pbass as series versus a musicman as parallel.  in mm basses it is active so not apples to oranges and placement is different but that is most comercially available comparison.  If both were passive  - the pbass will be hotter with great mids.  the mm will be cleaner and lower volume ,  more "modern sounding especially with the 2 cricuit preamp.

if yours is the th-2 you could also go with the 2 pups in single coil humbucked together  ( like a j bass)  and the other sound the humbucked original one.  (push pull pot or 2 way switch.

If you are really adventurous you could go with 2 three way switches and get all of the above but then you have to add 2 holes.

more to ponder!!!!!!
JIM

PeterB

• View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: May 25, 2010, 11:33:46 PM »
Yesterday I've tested the BaCHBird TH-1 at Rob's office and it blew me away. So, I ordered one, but I prefer the TH-2 so I'll see. A TH-1 is also perfect for me, since I'm most probably gonna modify the Bird. Replacing the pickups and electronics and add a nice and subtile set of ChiSonic Humbuckers.

Happy!  ;D

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: May 27, 2010, 07:55:30 AM »
was it rob's white one or a red one that just showed up.  if it was a new red one that is mine.)))))
JIM

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #1780 on: May 27, 2010, 09:03:54 AM »
Haha, no it was the one I'm sending back because it didn't pass the "van den broek quality test".
I kid you not!

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: May 27, 2010, 11:15:00 AM »
so that bad one was supposed to be mine?  If so that sucks but better i wait then get stuck with issues.  maybe we have taxed them out.....
JIM

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #1782 on: May 27, 2010, 12:06:26 PM »
No actually it was for someone else. Yours should arrive here soon.
I'll let you know when I have it here.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: June 01, 2010, 08:25:46 AM »
Yesterday I've tested the BaCHBird TH-1 at Rob's office and it blew me away. So, I ordered one, but I prefer the TH-2 so I'll see. A TH-1 is also perfect for me, since I'm most probably gonna modify the Bird. Replacing the pickups and electronics and add a nice and subtile set of ChiSonic Humbuckers.

Happy!  ;D

Peterb - you seem to be a big fan of chisonics.  Are you getting them from hanson or directly from lakeland ( do they sell them?).  How do they compare to the darkstars.  I put one in a tracker bass and love it.  Hanson qoutes only single coil.  you talk about humbucks.  as usual i am comfused....   

I need some pups for a project (don't we all love projects....) and thinking about chisonics. 

Thanks Jim
JIM

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #1784 on: June 01, 2010, 09:33:37 AM »
Actually Peter and I have been brainstorming a bit...
The BaCHbird was initially meant to be upgraded by every new owner. Some of us here had a new pickguard installled and pots replaced. Some even refinned the while thing. etc

So when Peter showed up at my office last week with one of his creations wearing Chi-Sonics (single coils) we got thinking...

And yes there are Chi-Sonic humbuckers available too.
So how about a BaCHbird Deluxe with Chi-Sonic humbuckers and better pots...
There might be a market for those... :popcorn: