Author Topic: BaCHbird  (Read 283287 times)

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
Re: BaCHbird
« Reply #1710 on: April 30, 2010, 12:43:54 PM »
now that you have all had these bachbirds for a while what is the general consensus.  i have been wanting a NR to go along with my bicentenial bass but the prices are way out of line.  Mike Lull's reverse look sweet but not NR.  for clarity is the pickup placementof the neck pup the same with the 1 or 2 pup version????  I think Gibson pusehed the 1 pup version back toward the bridge but i am probably wrong.  just appeared that way.  not many visions other than Glenn Cornick i my mind of a 1 pup. 

are the artrec pups ok or do i just get lull's pup's. 

last guestion - is it still recommended to order thru Rob?

Jim
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #1711 on: April 30, 2010, 02:38:23 PM »
now that you have all had these bachbirds for a while what is the general consensus.  i have been wanting a NR to go along with my bicentenial bass but the prices are way out of line.  Mike Lull's reverse look sweet but not NR.  for clarity is the pickup placementof the neck pup the same with the 1 or 2 pup version????  I think Gibson pusehed the 1 pup version back toward the bridge but i am probably wrong.  just appeared that way.  not many visions other than Glenn Cornick i my mind of a 1 pup. 

are the artrec pups ok or do i just get lull's pup's. 

last guestion - is it still recommended to order thru Rob?

Jim
I have played NRs almost exclusivley since '77. Get the Bach you won't regret it. On NR Thunderbird IIs the pickup should be about 3 1/14" from the butt of the neck. The art tech isn't bad but in the end I would swap it out. Order from Rob ? YES.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #1712 on: April 30, 2010, 02:53:27 PM »

;D

What Scott said!

Plus me lovie Lull pups ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #1713 on: April 30, 2010, 03:39:28 PM »
Oh I'll be buying Lull pups soon enough, just using up my '76 covers.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: May 01, 2010, 04:41:20 AM »
No dif in the neck pup position of a Gibson Non-Rev II and IV. They just added the bridge pup and one more knob, that's all.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

stiles72

• View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: May 01, 2010, 03:09:36 PM »
Slightly pimped and ready for the show tonight. I wanted to use my extra Blackbird pickguard on it, but that will take a litle work.

saltymonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: May 02, 2010, 10:10:33 AM »
Here's my Bach with a newly installed guard from Scott. Lookin' good don't you think? Thanks Scott.

And with my Greco just because. What a nice pair. The Greco is now holding court as my favorite bass.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #1717 on: May 02, 2010, 10:23:22 AM »

What a beautiful pair of basses, Classic!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Hornisse

« Reply #1718 on: May 02, 2010, 11:42:17 AM »
Something does not look right with the pickguard you got from Scott.  Are the early and later Bachbird bodies different dimensions??  Just look at the way it lines up with the upper and lower horns.

saltymonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: May 02, 2010, 12:01:04 PM »
Maybe, they definitely look different in those two pics. I looked back two pages to 113. Scott's new red Bach looks similarly lined up to mine.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #1720 on: May 02, 2010, 12:10:27 PM »

But Scott's is dimensionally based on the real deal..........
And I think the basses are handmade one at a time, like a Gibson - resulting in some differences.

Here's a close up of mine from the second group, it's PG was made by Paul Chandler based on Rob's PDF.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #1721 on: May 02, 2010, 12:21:42 PM »
Bach has changed the body a bit. My black one is from the second sieres I think guard looks fineThis is my mew trans cherry same problem as Bills.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: May 02, 2010, 12:28:23 PM »
From the pictures it looks like the neck is set in about a 1/2" furthur on the black ones. The bridges look to be placed different too (look at the relationship of the bridge to the volume knob). Is there a difference in the overall length?

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: May 02, 2010, 09:22:32 PM »
I dont know if its just me but that doesn't look very much like Mahogany. Maybe its just the pic and my monitor.
Digresion our specialty!

stiles72

• View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: May 03, 2010, 06:41:09 AM »
The neck wood on mine appears to be mahogany, but the body does not. When I removed the pickguard, I could see a gap in the neck pocket and the unfinished bod wood is very light colored. You can also see this in the "saw dust" that comes out of the screw holes for the pickguard.