Author Topic: BaCHbird  (Read 283289 times)

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
Re: BaCHbird
« Reply #1680 on: April 01, 2010, 11:03:50 PM »
FWIW: A guitar collecting friend of mine told me that the guitars/basses he got sent to Europe was first de-screwed. Then sent, together in the same package, as "guitar parts" to get into a different, lower, league of import taxes. Never tried it myself though.
PS Never try this with a reversed T-bird! DS ;)

Johnbob

• View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: April 01, 2010, 11:24:10 PM »
I just ordered my first Bachbird from Rob today. I sent him the payment this morning so hopefully I will get it in a few weeks. I'm so excited, I have wanted a NR Bird forever and I was beginning to think I would never own one and then I accidently stumbled on this thread and read about the Bachbird and how long this project had been going on. Awesome!!! A week ago if you told me that I would find a mysterious, somewhat hidden thread that would enable me to buy a brand new NR Bird for around $400 I would have laughed in your face. I definitely plan on doing some mods to mine like most of you guys have so I am sure I will have a million questions for you guys in the next few weeks. I will start with one for now. Where I can I find a chrome cover for the pickup?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: April 02, 2010, 12:22:34 AM »
Realization with you yanks that you are not part of the European Union just as Germany is not part of the United States is somewhat slow! !- ) I pay 21 % customs on my bass-related US imports so don't complain! Or invite the Czech Republic to join NAFTA. Knowing their EU critical view they would probably prefer that to the current status ...
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #1683 on: April 02, 2010, 12:49:23 AM »
It is not the actual (normal) duty they have to pay that's bothering me.
It's the extra $15 for handling and $15 residence fee-duty that came unexpected.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 02:39:49 AM by Basvarken »

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #1684 on: April 02, 2010, 08:13:25 AM »
 Here is my Bach TH-1 with a Seymour Duncan custom shop repro Thunderbird pickup !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Johnbob

• View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: April 02, 2010, 10:11:49 AM »
That looks good, did it come with the chrome cover? How much was it?

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #1686 on: April 02, 2010, 10:21:26 AM »
The cover I bought off ebay from greatdealz1967 for 29 bucks came with the ring to ;). SD charges $ 190.00 to stuff the covers. They sound fantastic and is is a little less expensive than the Lull pickups.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #1687 on: April 02, 2010, 10:36:23 AM »
SD charges $ 190.00 to stuff the covers.

Wow, Scott tell us some more. Do you mean you sent Seymour Duncan the empty casing (from greatdealz) en he put the coils and potting inside that casing?
Or did he just slide the casing over one of his pickups?

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #1688 on: April 02, 2010, 11:29:38 AM »
They put 60's repro pickups in the '76 covers. I don't think SD can supply covers, they just make the pickup.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #1689 on: April 02, 2010, 02:15:04 PM »
I just ordered my first Bachbird from Rob today. I sent him the payment this morning so hopefully I will get it in a few weeks. I'm so excited, I have wanted a NR Bird forever and I was beginning to think I would never own one and then I accidently stumbled on this thread and read about the Bachbird and how long this project had been going on. Awesome!!! A week ago if you told me that I would find a mysterious, somewhat hidden thread that would enable me to buy a brand new NR Bird for around $400 I would have laughed in your face. I definitely plan on doing some mods to mine like most of you guys have so I am sure I will have a million questions for you guys in the next few weeks. I will start with one for now. Where I can I find a chrome cover for the pickup?
Congrats. Johnbob you are going to love it !

stiles72

• View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: April 02, 2010, 03:35:57 PM »
Scott - That looks really red there! Cool!  Did you shape the pickguard? I noticed it's slightly different than Mark's around the neck area and possibly the lower point.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: April 02, 2010, 03:40:07 PM »
Scott that is absolutely stunning. I'm having an internal struggle between the Honey Burst and that Cherry. I was leaning towards the Honeyburst until I saw that.
Digresion our specialty!

saltymonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: April 02, 2010, 03:54:34 PM »
I agree Scott. That's beautiful. I have the honeyburst and never questioned that choice until seeing that pic.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #1693 on: April 02, 2010, 04:00:48 PM »
Scott - That looks really red there! Cool!  Did you shape the pickguard? I noticed it's slightly different than Mark's around the neck area and possibly the lower point.
I make my own pickguards and they are available. For my pattern I use a '66-'69 Gibson PG. The area at the butt of the neck was always very sloppy I make my transition into the area a little smother. Original '69 PG My black Bach with Bach hole pattern in the pg and my new trans cherry with one of my pgs with the Gibson screw pattern
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 05:24:08 AM by godofthunder »

Johnbob

• View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: April 02, 2010, 05:00:53 PM »
Godofthunder- Thanks I am very excited.